KDE4

ffi

On the XFCE4 settings, if you pick the keyboard module you will find a shortcuts tab, where you can create your own keystrokes' theme.

But of course there are several other solutions available, which *may* be better for the specific laptop. Sorry to say I never had an Evesham, so I do not know what works best with it.

See, for example, this nice article:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_Keyboard_Keys

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been trying 4.1beta2 on hardy but I still don't think I will switch, I can forgive the very frequent crahes but for me still many important features are missing:

-file size view in konqueror still seems to be gone

-no thumbnail view in the file selector

-no obvious way to move things around in the panel

-search bar in konqueror, how to hell are you supposed to go to a website even, remember and type an url?

-no way to put files on the desktop

further more it is slow.....very slow, even with compositing turned off, there are many graphical glitches when drawing/moving windows and menus, moving plasmoids around is very frustrating as it is very hard to grab them(the mouse position the plasmoid is aware off seems to be lagging to the actual screen position) and all these things were also present in the stable release :wall:

and btw what with these stupid controls and frame on icons and widgets? just have a right -> click properties

well at least the panel can be resized and themed easily now.....

Edited by ffi

• 1 month later...

So I decided to give kde4.1 final a try on mdv2008.1

Wow, what a great idea this folderview is. I always like to keep the view files I am working on, on the desktop. But you can't do this anymore, the kde4 devs wanted to give you a cleaner and more functional desktop. Now files are in a "container" called folderview, so now instead of just a few icons on the desktop, I have a few icons on the desktop, plus a container, plus a path description, plus a scrollbar!, plus a horizontal bar under the file description, plus a toolbar continously popping up when I mouse over the folder view container and worst of all I cannot even figure out how to resize to get rid of the scrollbar.  :wall: I managed to make it smaller but can't figure out how to make it bigger nor how move it. I moved it accidentally a few times but don't know what I did exactly...

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday I installed the 2008.1 kde4.1 version on a cetrino m 1.6 ghz/mobility radion x600/512mb laptop where previously xfce and gnome had been installed and I have to say the resources needed by kde4.1 are pretty impressive, in a good way.

After a couple of logins (via gdm) and with desktop effects enabled and with the net_applet and 3 screenlets (a  python-gtk app) starting up in both kde actually needed 20mb less than xfce (180mb vs 160mb); gnome would suck up around 300mb on this machine (though with compiz enabled)

impressive although kde4.1 still has the annoyances I mentioned earlier and it's still quite buggy (plasmoid disappear after relogging in, the menu is displaces to the right etc.)