PCI Video card I just ordered, any opinions?

mindwave

As you may have heard I'm building my new Linux destop, probably my last personal upgrade for a while.

AMD X2 5400 4GB ram etc etc.

I'd never used PCI-e so i figured this would be the time to try it.

I'm NOT a ganer, the MB I bought doesnt have vid built in, and lo and behold I got an ad from buy.com

XFX GeForce 7100GS 350MHz 256MB w/ TurboCache Supporting 512MB PCI Express x16 Video Card

compared to the onboard video I'm using now, this should spank it (on paper anyway)

BUT I know that graphics drivers are one of the BIGGEST headaches around.

has anyone used this w/ MDV 2007.1? Will I be able to experiment w/ the 3d desktop effect?

and if anyone wants one cheap.

buy.com has it priced at $39.99 today, if you use google checkout for the 1st time (which i did) you get an additional $10 off, and there is a $20 rebat.

SO if everything works out io got it shipped to my door for 9.99 (they are offering free shipping)

but of course it doesnt help if i'm going to pull out my rapidly greying hair to get it to work!

I'm open to all opinions and comments''thanks

J

i'd be interested to hear a response. i've never used the PCI-e video cards before. I hope it works out for you.
I've used two different PCI-E video cards (one was a set of 7600's in SLI) and they have always worked fine for me (no differences between using them and AGP cards).

I've used two different PCI-E video cards (one was a set of 7600's in SLI) and they have always worked fine for me (no differences between using them and AGP cards).

have you ever used onboard video? notice any differences in that?>?

seems as though none of the MB's ive tried this year w/ onboard video will support the 3rd effects, and i know its just eye candy, but on a pc like what i'm putting together it shouldbt be much of a strain either.

J

I've never used on-board, except on my laptop (no real choice there). But, I personally tend to stray from onboard components (except LAN) because they aren't easily replaced if they break; then again, you'd just end up getting an external anyways, if they did break - but disabling the onboard is sometimes tricky (though not usually). As far as whether or not they support 3D, that depends on what kind of card it is - some onboard have support, some don't.

well a week PLUS and things are humming.

i know that this is pretty bare install, but it is FLYING.

everything is appearing instantly as it should.

i havent added the MCNL scripts yet to start my backups, but id dont think that will be an issue.

and there is a definate difference at 1280x1024 with the new PCI-E card vs the old on board i was using.

however, and i know weveseen this before, the 256MB on the vid card takes away from the total ram.

i have 4GB on the MB and only see 3.75gb in MDV

but SHAZAM its fast.

i cant wait until i get stable again and start orking on some more intensive stuff.

j