Question on mail server

Guest kryolla

Guest kryolla

I have a a registered domain name. I would like to set up a server so when people e mail me ?@domain I will get it in my linux box. Does anyone know how to do this. Thanks Again Drew

Talk to the person running the DNS server for your domain. Ask them to add an MX record to point to your machine. That will set up external direction for e-mail.

Internally, you will need to set up postfix or sendmail to accept mail directed to the domain. I know the postfix conf file has good comments in it, read carefully and you should do fine.

Guest kryolla

Thanks. I tried to install qmail and it seems to not work. I went to freezer burn web site and followed his instructions

rpm -ivh daemontools*.rpm ucspi-tcp*.rpm dot-forward*.rpm checkpassword*.rpm qmail*.rpm fastforward*.rpm

1:daemontools ########################################### [100%]

2:ucspi-tcp ########################################### [100%]

3:dot-forward ########################################### [100%]

4:checkpassword ########################################### [100%]

5:qmail ########################################### [100%]

6:fastforward ########################################### [100%]

/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail cdb

bash: /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail: No such file or directory

[root@www qmail]#

[root@www qmail]# /etc/cron.hourly/qmail

bash: /etc/cron.hourly/qmail: No such file or directory

does anybody know why I am getting this error. THanks

yeah, don't download the .src.rpm's unless you are planning on recompiling them-that's what those are for (src=source). otherwise, get the .i586.rpm ones. these are compiled for the (generic) i586 architecture (processor stuff).

IMHO try postfix rather than QMail... I run a qmail server but from texts I've read Postfix is apparently easier to use and a lot better...

This I still don't understand as postfix and qmail seem very similar to me......

But back to the point MDK 9.0 comes with postfix, so why do you want to install qmail....??

I installed qmail because I understood it was more secure than postfix. and, actually, it was much easier to install and get working the the postfix which came on the cd's (atleast, for me).

Weird..!!

I had no problems with postfix at all.!!

And in terms of "easy-bility" Exim is supposed to be the best for that..!!

But if it's not broken don't fix it.!!

kryolla:

Did you eventually get qmail working okay for you..?

Guest kryolla

I got the right RPM and installed it but I couldnt get it to work. I am not too familiar with this mail server prior to that all I have been using is MS outlook. I still dont understand how MTA, MUA, MDA and whatever I missed how they interact or depend on one another. But I was able to dl fetchmail and postfix and got those 2 to work with each other. Im I missing another RPM. Thanks Drew

Have you checked out Paul Sheer's book "Rute"...

I think it will help you quite a lot. It helped me plenty..!!

Here's a link:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/node33.html.gz

Be sure to check it out and if you like the book, buy it. It's not often that you come across texts as good as this one is, and the author deserves to get something in return in my opinion.!!

Guest kryolla

After many long nights trying to figure this out it was just a simple command. I did not need any mua or mda only MTA (Exim). All I had to do was put a line the /etc/aliases files to point me: you@myisp.com

What I originally wanted to do was to setp up a mail server to receive mail from my registered domain name. Then I edit my aliases file and redirected that mail to my isp account mail. Then in my w2k box i can view it. Thanks Everyone I just needed to vent.