MP3 players?

Guest sethadam1

Guest sethadam1

Anyone had any success using portable MP3 players under Bamboo (9.1)? I want to get the RIO player or the new Archos player, but I want it to work under LINUX! I don't want to have to boot into Windows to get it to work.

Adam

Hi sethadam1

It really depends which portable player you get. The RIOs are really well supported. Don't know about the other one. But you should not have too much problems.. I use mine in Linux. Seach Google about that... you'll see.

MOttS

Guest fubar::chi

hold the phone there young'un!

A star is born with native linux and ogg capabilities.

Take a gander at http://news.com.com/2100-1023-985798.html or just go straight to the company's website http://www.neurosaudio.com/

::

Before you ask no, I don't use it, don't plan to use it, and there won't ever use it.

::

I'm not an mp3 player man myself. I'd rather just get a cd player that plays mp3s :wink: Best o' both worlds dontcha know.

The Archos seems supported. Look HERE

I'm using a Pine Palmp-3. I'm not able to see the build-in 64Meg in Linux (This is basically why I'm keeping Winboozz on my HD) but I can see the expansion card (32M/64M) no problem. I bought it at wallmart for about 130$ CDN + tax (4 months ago) .. so that must be under hundread in the US. If I would be you I would look for something BIGGER though !!!

MOttS

Guest sethadam1

Unfortunately, the simple command:

#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/archos

doesn't work, it needs the filesystem type. So, I did this:

#mount -t usbdevfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/archos

and it mounted...but not my Archos. It made some weird directories, with 001 and 002 and a folder called "devices" and a folder called "drivers." I tried to download the USB to ATA driver found on your link. In fact, it's all over the internet, but the link is broken! Can someone who uses their Archos in Linux tell me what they did to install it?

Also, if I reinstall Mandrake as an UPGRADE, is there a way I can extend the package installation to give me EVERYTHING? I wonder if I'm missing some files that are dependencies or something....

I got a Compaq iPaq Personal Audio Player PA-2 for nothing otherwise i wouldn't bother with one, it has a 64meg card and can take a second 64mb card.

I found a site where a guy has hacked up a driver for it and a little tcl script for using it, works sweet under mandrake 9.1

It's funny when i had win98 the driver intaller installed digital rights software on the computer wether you wanted it or not. and it was a bitch to remove, not possible through add/remove programs had sneaky registry settings.

Oh and unrealated my samsung web cam worked without doing anything in mandrake9.1, it was a bitch to make it work properly in windows with the samsung drivers :?

Guest fubar::chi
Also, if I reinstall Mandrake as an UPGRADE, is there a way I can extend the package installation to give me EVERYTHING? I wonder if I'm missing some files that are dependencies or something....

Yes you should be able to click on all the categories when it comes time for package installation. You can also select an option (somewhere along the bottom i think) to individually select files (or maybe it says Advanced something)

Guest sethadam1

Thanks for your help guys. I actually was able to get the Archos mounted. I'm not sure which command did it, but I have the icon on my desktop and can browse and write to it.

I also have a RIO on the way - for working out. Hopefully that will ultimately be easier than this, and this wasn't all that hard...