Not Sure What Type of Modem

xboxboy

My mother board is has PCI2.2 slots. My current modem is a software type (only using windows at moment). So I'm getting all ready to run Mandriva 2008, I've added more ram and ordered a hardware type modem (its description is type pci so im assuming it will fit my mother board).

I get the modem today, its with out any liturature, and unbranded so I google the numbers on the chip: conexant RS56-PCI R6793-12. It seems this is not a hardware type but soft ware....I am furious as I specifically asked for a hardware type for linux (reply- its a hardware type, not the software type). Is it possible that the chipset could be used in a hardware type as well? Im not a computer engineer, but I highly doubt it.

Looking through the forums here it sounds like it is alot of messing around to get this modem to work under linux, and could easily be avoided by simply buying a hardware type modem (but then will I end up where I am now? AAAARGGGH!)

Any help is most appreciated.

Give it back, and demand a REAL hardware modem (although it's not easy to find such a thing currently in PCI status... if you can get a SERIAL external modem, it will be 100% Linux compatible).

The one you were offfered:

1. Is a software modem (winmodem).

2. It does have a working driver for Linux, and that driver is working fine (Linuxant). However, the free Linuxant driver is a fugly crippo with 14.4 kbps connection speed! The full speed driver(plus faxing capabilities) is commercial, and not worth purchasing (since you can get other modems with a free/working driver).

I had the same dilemma when I was preparing my Compaq Deskpro EN for Mandriva 2007.0. Its original modem was a winmodem, so I promptly discarded it. I then did a Google search using the keywords "linux pci modem" and came across a site that lists modems according to chipset-type and whether or not they are 'guaranteed' to be Linux compatible.

Based on the listing I saw I purchased a PCI modem with full hardware, but I later decided to take the easiest route and bought a Best Data 56SX92 external modem for $20. The installation was very simple -- no special driver needed -- and I am now using it daily with no problems at all. The PCI modem I bought is stored away as an emergency spare.

I built some 'add-ons' for my second-hand computer desk ($20 at a yard sale) and the external modem is concealed, along with all the cords and cables, so my desktop is absolutely clean, system unit and flat screen monitor only.

So, an external modem is definitely the easiest route for a Linux beginner, but installing a full hardware PCI modem is only slightly more complicated (in retrospect), requiring a little more research to do it correctly.

my experience with the linuxent drivers is that they are GREAT!

however as of last week, they didnt have one for MDV 2008 (but they are working on them)

if the ONLY thing you can get reasonable is the conexant, then go to http://www.linuxant.com/company/ and try the free version for a week.

you WILL end up buying it (its $20 you spend THAT on mcdonalds)

I have had nothing but GREAT experiences with them, in fact their LAN drivers have ALWAYS given me a better signal strength than ndiswrapper by itself.

whatever they are doing they are doing it right.

you CAN go buy a hardware modem, but FINDING one can be difficult (as you already know), my suggestion, since you already own it, try the driver.

• 2 weeks later...
Are all serial modems "Hardware modems?"

Yes, they are... or at least myself don't know any exception. All of them are working using no driver and the same communication protocol. What might not work out of the box is their fax/voice capabilities, but the networking part should work right out of the box without any effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input. Serial modems dont appear to be all that common either now (or I'm looking in the wrong places). Am I right to assume that an USB modem would be suitable, ie. Hardware type? Or am I going to have problems with a USB modem too?

Thanks for your input. Serial modems don't appear to be all that common either now (or I'm looking in the wrong places). Am I right to assume that an USB modem would be suitable, i.e. Hardware type? Or am I going to have problems with a USB modem too?

I cannot advise on the suitability or ease of use for USB modems, but here is a link to the company that sold me my Best Data 56SX92 external serial modem:

http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/default.php?cPath=91

Unfortunately, the Best Data 56SX92 does not seem to be in stock at the present time, but you will see there some other inexpensive external serial modems listed. External serial modems are still easy to find. Just do a Google search using the key words "buy external serial modem", and you will find many links to visit. You will find other companies selling the Best Data 56SX92; however, you might not find one priced at $20 -- the price I paid.

My 56SX92 was shipped with Windows drivers on CD and all essential cables. As I posted earlier, I have concealed the tangled mess of cords and cables associated with an external modem by hiding them inside a custom-built add-on to my computer desk, so my system unit looks like it could contain an internal modem, but really does not.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to update mandriva using my windows connection? I assume it would be, but alot more involved?

First way I could easily think of would be mirroring the repositories to a drive your installation could access then use it as a local urpmi mirror, but with a dial up connection which I assume you would be using, it would take a very long time and probly not so much worth it. I think last time I mirrored all of the trees it was 25+ GB's.

Is it possible to update mandriva using my windows connection? I assume it would be, but alot more involved?

I rely on dial-up for Internet access. Therefore, downloading a complete Linux distribution is impractical for me. I purchased my Mandriva 2007.0 installation discs from a French company, although there are many companies that can supply discs for very little money. By purchasing discs, you will avoid many potential problems. Just do a Google search, using the keywords, "buy linux cds", then choose what looks good to you. I would also advise keeping any supplemental RPMs that you might want to install, in addition to those contained on the Mandriva Free installation discs. Since URPMI does not keep RPMs installed from online repositories, you will need to manually download supplemental RPMs (wget works fine for me), use URPMI to install them from your custom repository, then store them safely away on CD or DVD. I am presently doing quarterly backups to CD of all supplemental files I download.

Well- you can set up a VMWare/VirtualBox guest, if you machine has some guts, network it to the Linux host and then set the guest as gateway- which will be using the winmodem.

In theory it sounds easy, but I've never tried that (but rather the other way round), so I dunno if it will work or not.