Ati Radeon 9250 graphics card

bookie

2008 should have automatically detected the card and used the 'ati' driver (the one Reiver suggests). The detection code does not propose the proprietary driver for pre-Radeon 9500 cards, as it doesn't support them. So he should've had working graphics out of the box. Did he not? Or did it only break when he tried to use the proprietary driver?

Hi adamw, my friend said that the card was detected with the following as stated 8.28.8. He says that it doesn't work very well that is why he thought he would give Radeon a try.

bookie

PS If you have any more suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks Adam!

Edited by bookie

I could never get the proprietary ATI drivers to work with my Radeon 9250, no matter what driver version I tried - it never worked. I use the standard open-source driver as nothing else will work.

If he's getting 8.28.8 he's not using Mandriva 2008. It sounds like he's using 2007. 8.28.8 is an old version of the proprietary driver, I think it's the one we shipped in 2007. 2007 also had old detection tables that would have tried to use the proprietary driver with a 9250, so that makes sense.

He should get 2007 Spring or 2008. Their detection is better.

oh. he's downloading from the ATI site.

yes, the last ATI driver that supported the 9250 was 8.28.8. But there's not really a lot of point using that, AFAIK. It's better just to use the free driver. The free driver being better than the proprietary one for cards prior to the 9500 was part of the reason ATI stopped supporting those cards after 8.28.8.

I don't know about the TV side, sorry, never used TV output on a Radeon.