Can't shut off IPV6 in MDV 2008!

krisbee2000

I have tried three different things... adding the two alias commands in modprobe.conf that did the trick in 2006, " alias ipv6 off

alias net-pf10 off", the Mandriva sanctioned idea of adding "install ipv6 /bin/true" to modprobe.conf, and then I tried adding to /etc/sysconfig/network "NETWORK_IPV6=no"

When I run lsmod | grep ipv6, it still shows an entry, and I can't add my urpmi sources (pinging mandriva.cointech.net shows a correct ip address, but no return)

I shut down the firewall that 2008 installed, shut down any other services that didn't seem necessary... and I just can't get this problem licked on my 2008 install.

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Adding a file blacklist_ipv6 to modprobe.d directory, and adding "blacklist ipv6" to that file fixed the problem... sort of. I could ping the servers now, but no matter what, I couldn't get urpmi to connect, even though I could see what was in those ftp directories using konqueror.

IPV6 is definitely off, there is no entry in lsmod, so that module is not being loaded...

So, I am stumped now as to what the urpmi problem is, and slowly losing patience with 2008.

What's the exact error you receive when using urpmi? Can you paste it here?

No error... it just hangs... for 20 minutes or so before I give up. It doesn't have a progress bar like normal, and this happens whether I use a compressed or uncompressed index. But like I said, I can ftp to the site in an instant and find the index with the path I am given from easy-urpmi...

And, I have tried ftp, rsync, or http mirrors, all without success. I have disabled the firewall in Mandriva, as well (no need for one, the router has a NAT Firewall).

Also, just to be clear, I have had this problem in 2006, and it was related to ipv6, which I shut off in 2006 and everything worked with urpmi with that version... I have shut this off in 2008, and there still is an issue.

Edited by krisbee2000

No error... it just hangs... for 20 minutes or so before I give up. It doesn't have a progress bar like normal,

You've lost me on the progress bar. Are you using the package manager? If so, would you please try it from the command line in a terminal. Do as root

urpmi.addmedia

followed by the url of the repo. That should give us an error.

You've lost me on the progress bar. Are you using the package manager? If so, would you please try it from the command line in a terminal. Do as root
urpmi.addmedia

followed by the url of the repo. That should give us an error.

No, this is from the command line (though I have tried from inside mcc as well)... no error happens in the terminal. By progress bar, if a connection is established, usually you will get a printout of the percentage downloaded of the index, how big, etc. None of that happens. It says add "main" (which is the first group I am trying to add), and then, nothing. NOTHING. 20 minutes, NOTHING!