installing 2008 screen goes black

Guest timb5163

Guest timb5163

I am trying to install the new 2008 on a dell 3000, 1gb ram, nvidia geforce 6200a. When I boot up, the CD starts loading and everything seems to be loading okay and then when X starts the screen goes black. I am suspecting the video card as I have had issues with other distros before at this exact spot. Any suggestions. Thanks.

With an nvidia card, you should not install so it will automatically boot to GUI until after you get the good driver in place. The nv driver is just a problem. I install to CLI. When I launch the GUI via "startx," I can edit for errors and get a desktop. But then I also down load the latest nvidia driver and install it at first launch. If the kernel sources do not install by default (why not??) then you can "urpmi kernel-sources" and then run the nvidia driver installer. Frankly, it is just easier to get a GUI using the vesa driver and going from there. It will be ugly until you install the proprietary driver anyway.

• 1 month later...
Guest El Sapo

I have the same problem with an ATI and an Envidia computer, neither will let me go past this blank screen. I have used both the regular and the free Mandriva and also I tried both the gnu and the kde versions.