Installing mandriva one 2007 [solved]

Guest pps

I downloaded Mandriva one 2007 KDE and burned it.I was able to boot from CD without any problem .But I was not able to enter the desktop because I was asked to enter the login name and password and thus I was not able to install it.How can I solve this?

It shouldn't ask for a username and password, so probably something has gone wrong.

Did it give you a colourful screen to type in your username and password, or was it just a black screen with white writing on? It could be that the graphical part failed to start properly (maybe you need to give it some parameters) and it's going back to the text mode login.

Try logging in with username "guest" - I think the password should be empty but it might be also "guest". Once you're logged in, try typing the command "startx" and see if it gives any useful error messages.

Thanks for the reply.The login name is asked in a black screen.I logged in as guest and typed 'startx'.

But there was an error message saying that it has failed to initialize NVIDIA display.

My NVIDIA chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU in an ASUS A8N-VM motherboard.But in xorg-conf file it was detected as NVIDIA FX 7100.Is there any way to solve this?

Did you use the binary from nvidia, or a Mandriva package to install the videocard driver?

If you haven't done any of the two, follow the steps suggested by neddie and pick "vesa" as your videocard.

It won't look terribly pretty, but it will work- after that you can install the right nvidia driver.

Edited by scarecrow

Finally solved it !!! .I was able to enter the desktop .I used the 'XFdrake' command and changed the driver to 'vesa'

and it worked.Thanks to all the replies.I clicked the "Live install" icon but it is very slow.It seems impossible to install in that speed.I have only 256 RAM and about 7 GB free space.I had same problem while installing Ubuntu but was able to solve it by booting in less graphics mode. Is there any other installation methods which is faster?.

Once again thanks to all replies.

I would say probably using the full installation CD set would be faster than the LiveCD because you wouldn't be booted in a normal desktop environment - but just the installer.

Although, the CD set is at least 3 x CD or 1 x DVD depending on which you download.