Logoff is the only choice in KDE 3.1

virtualspy

Hi virtualspy

I don't think the REBOOT and SHUTDOWN option will appears in the Kmenu if you don't use KDM as a login manager. In other words, if you use the Mandrake login manager (mdklm I think) or GDM, you'll not be able to reboot or shutdown from the Kmenu.

I see two ways to overcome that.

1) Make yourself a REBOOT and SHUTDOWN button in the Kmenu with Kmenuedit. The commands are as follow:

shutdown -h now

To shutdown. To reboot you have to use the -r option:

shutdown -r now

2) Choose KDM from the Mandrake Control Center as a login manager.

Good luck

MOTtS

I have been issuing commands in a console to do this, either "reboot" or "poweroff". Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

I have been issuing commands in a console to do this, either "reboot" or "poweroff". Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

Nope. Those are aliases to 'shutdown -X now' command ..

MOTts

Try this:

In the mandrake control center, boot, and drakeboot, unselect the automatic login box. Exit the control center.

Then open the kde control center, system, login manager, select administrator mode, su(pasword) select convenience, check the enable auto login box, scroll to the user you wish to autologin, save and exit.

Now after the next reboot you will only be presented with the 3 button, different user, turn off computer, restart buttons.

This is one of the very first tasks I perform after a clean install of mandrake, I hate all the logout popups.

gabbman, that worked. I previously found that option in the KDE control center, but I didn't de-select the auto-login from Mandrake control center first which was the key. Thanks.

By the way, my attempt to make a "reboot" button didn't work but I attribute that to my first attempt at such a thing. Should I have made the script file open in a terminal window? I tried it both ways but I suspect my syntax was wrong, however the "shutdown -r now" command ~did~ work to reboot after changing the settings. Something in my approach was wrong, but it's not important anymore so I will save that for another workaround... cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RuudLinux

:D Hi, i downloaded from cooker the latest kde3.1.1a and installed it (also the missing files when you try rpm -Uvh *.rpm) all is working perfect. Logout is normal. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded kde 3.1.1a from one mandrake-cooker ftp server. I have experienced the next:

my kde desktop fonts were changed. Besides, when i loged out the ONLY WINDOW MANAGER was the KDE!!! Where are the other window mangaer. Any way this was the begining of the sad story. In the login list there were a lot of users I have not picked up, not only the two users i selected e.g.É user1 and user2. My qestion is from where did you download kde 3.1.1a? and why is there no kde 3.1.1 at KDE OFFICIAL ftp server? THANK YOU

• 4 weeks later...

Achtung!

To anyone who dares try Gabbman's tweak:

I followed his instructions exactly, and on the next reboot saw the following:

The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:

No write access to $HOME directory (/)

KDE is unable to start.

and it sure was.

I rebooted in "nonfb", undid his instructions in reverse order and rebooted OK.

Gabbman, if you are, as I suspect, a Canadian, leave the sloppy thinking to our southern neighbours. They are the masters of it.

Gabbman, if you are, as I suspect, a Canadian, leave the sloppy thinking to our southern neighbours. They are the masters of it.

-5, Flamebait.

oh wait, this isn't slashdot :roll:

WilliamS, please remember that our posting guidelines prohibit flaming each other. If you are attempting humor, please make use of the plethora of emoticons so that there are no misunderstandings.