updating to 2007.1?

malfist

How can I do this without a total reinstall of the system?

Yes. just set in a cd/DVD containing 2007.1 and choose upgrade/update your excisting system, when promted.

But it highly recommended that you have a system running 2007.

If you are running a 2007, you should be able just to change the source.lists from Easyurpmi, but I wouldn't recommend it.

This option has only succeded for for me, one out of three times.

If you use easyurpmi sources to upgrade to 2007.1, then you can do it, but requires additional work. Namely using updatedb and slocate for rpmnew files to replace old config files.

Or, use etc-update by installing this package, and this will easily do it for you almost automatically. The reasons why using urpmi sources can fail is due to not updating the config files, as well as updating your kernel manually afterwards.

Yes. just set in a cd/DVD containing 2007.1 and choose upgrade/update your excisting system, when promted.

But it highly recommended that you have a system running 2007.

I don't see the option to update. I see install and I follow it until it askes me which partition to format then I stop.

What should I do?

I don't see the option to update. I see install and I follow it until it askes me which partition to format then I stop.

What should I do?

Sounds strange :huh:

Read this guide, and look carefully at subsection "Install Type".

If you don't get this screen, with the option to "Upgrade Mandriva Linux 2007.0 ........" Then I'm sure something is wrong with your DVD :)

Sounds strange :huh:

Read this guide, and look carefully at subsection "Install Type".

If you don't get this screen, with the option to "Upgrade Mandriva Linux 2007.0 ........" Then I'm sure something is wrong with your DVD :)

That's not at all like what mine looks like, it seems to be a live CD that I can install from... (the GNOME i5(?)86)

You downloaded Mandriva One, and not the actual install CD's. AFAIK, the Mandriva One CD's do not allow for upgrading from previous versions - you'll have to grab the full install DVD/CD set for that.

Well, if you got it from a mirror, then likely the same place you found Mandriva One at. You could try looking here, but I wouldn't expect someone who wants to download Mandriva to check their site for it... ;)

If you are running a 2007, you should be able just to change the source.lists from Easyurpmi, but I wouldn't recommend it.

This option has only succeded for for me, one out of three times.

This option has only failed for me once and I have used it since Mandrake 9.0. Going from 2007 to 2007.1 this way should be a piece of cake. Just use the Easy-Urpmi link up there to change your sources to 2007.1 sources and do this:

urpmi --auto --auto-select

(Make sure you remove your old sources with urpmi.removemedia -a before adding the sources for 2007.1)

I looked at the download mirrors (on the link tyme pointed you to) and I only see DVD iso, miniCD, or One isos. I no longer see the 3 CD set available for download.

I would not recommend using --auto . That's intended for unattended situations - it automatically answers all questions with the default reply. This is not always what you want, especially for instance in this case:

Remove lots of useful packages? (Y/n)

I think you can see the problem. =) This doesn't happen *very* often, but it *does* happen, and when it happens it's usually when you're trying to do a full distro upgrade with urpmi. I would say you should always use this command for such upgrades:

urpmi --auto-update -v

--auto-update is much like --auto-select - it just does urpmi.update -a first, so you don't have to bother doing two commands. The important thing is to use -v, to get more information, and NOT to use --auto, so nothing important happens without your approval.

Reserve --auto for when you're doing a very safe operation (like a security update) and want to leave it running overnight or something.

Or use --auto if you're not scared to use it :)

In all honesty, I've only found this ever to be a problem going from an old system like Mandriva 2006 to Mandriva 2007.1 or something like that. Or LE2005 to 2007.0. Sometimes it can find a conflict and then want to choose an answer where the default isn't appropriate and then it doesn't update your system correctly. Normally it asks you which one of two packages you want, and one answer will fail (the default) and the other will work fine. I've also seen this when using Corporate Desktop 4 Beta, and applying updates - only to find later it had changed Corporate Desktop 4 into 2007.0 Free! Hmmm, guess something went wrong with the automatic selection of repos, so not really relevant to the --auto option.

I've never broken a system with --auto. I'm not saying it's not possible. Just side on the err of caution as adamw is saying if you want to make sure all is OK. And don't forget the etc-update or updatedb/slocate thing afterwards.

I agree with adamw's suggestion, but going from 2007.0 to 2007.1 is minimal risk, so I (an experienced Linux user) would use --auto so I don't have to babysit an upgrade over the internet, which could take awhile. But, once again, I do agree with adamw that there are risks of problems that a novice may not be able to recover from, so leaving --auto out may be best.

(I love the relatively new --auto-update, but in this instance, did not feel it necessary to mention, since we were doing urpmi.removemedia -a and urpmi.addmedia blahblahblah immediately before running urpmi --auto-select)