Mandrake 8.1 and Apache

Guest Jose

I am wondering about putting Mandrake 8.1 on an old Dell machine with 64mb ram, 2gb hd. It's a pentium. My question is this, if I put Mandrake 8.1, can I then upgrade Apache from whatever version 8.1 comes with to the latest version of 1.3x. currently available or is Apache dependent on the version of linux?

I do have a new machine with 9.0. Just wish to make an old machine usefull by putting 8.1 and Apache on it.

why not put 9.0 on it, it should infact be faster than 8.1 on that hardware. if you are only using the machine for hosting a webserver only you don't need to install X or any window managers, do a minimal install then urpmi any packages you need (apache mod_php etc..).

Thanks for the quick reply. I just never thought it could handle 9.0, but it won't hurt to try it. I can always get rid of it if it doesn't work. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I am quite new to linux and get lost without the gui, especially that urpmi part. But I gotta learn someday. Again, thanks.

if you can get by without a gui then go for a light window manager like blackbox else it will be painfully slow.

And after you have installed everything and set it up, logout of the wm and turn off XFree to free up resources.

The answer to your question, if I remember correctly is that upgrading Apache should be no problem, but trying to upgrade the modules like php-gd will run you into all kinds of circular dependency issues that'll lead back to your WM. In other words, it would be easier (tons) to install 9.1