Weird Keyboard problem every time I enter

Chen

Each time when i enter Mandriva to do any action i need to Hold CTRL and then click and stuff, To fix that problem i need to enter the Keyboard settings and just press NEXT untill the end (that fixes).

How can i fix it so i wont need to do all the above each time?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I'm sorry, but your description is too short and I do not understand. Please state step-by-step what the error is and what you are doing to fix it. Also, what is your hardware? Wireless keyboard?

Im sorry, but your description is too short and I do not understand. Please state step-by-step what the error is what is happening.

I load up Mandriva...

If i try to do anything with my mouse (eg. open files / close folders / move stuff) it creates a picture file of the area selected.

To be able to click and do things i need to HOLD the control (CTRL) Key on the keyboard.

To fix the problem i need to enter my Keyboard settings and just define my keyboard all over (once done its fixed untill the next reboot).

My keyboard is a normal Compaq one and my mouse is a G7 (which I'm sure isn't the problem).

Edited by Chen

Each time when i enter Mandriva to do any action i need to Hold CTRL and then click and stuff

What kind of action is it that you try to do, and what happens when you do it?

What kind of action is it that you try to do, and what happens when you do it?

As i said... any type of action like Right Click / Normal Click.

And what happens is like a PrintScreen of the selected area (= normal click will do blank pic but drag will show the dragged area).

To be able to click and do normal stuff i need to Hold CTRL untill i do the keyboard settings operation...

Ugh read what i said... the mouse isn't the problem.
I think you made a typing error there. I don't think you meant "Ugh read what i said", I think you meant to write "No, I don't think so. I don't think the mouse is the problem." Although problems with clicking and other mouse operations could certainly have at least something to do with the mouse...

As an experiment, I would try stopping the harddrake service, and preventing it from starting at bootup. It's possible that when harddrake detects stuff at startup (like maybe the mouse) it's rewriting your xorg config file.

Just a thought, but it might be worth trying.

I think you made a typing error there. I don't think you meant "Ugh read what i said", I think you meant to write "No, I don't think so. I don't think the mouse is the problem." Although problems with clicking and other mouse operations could certainly have at least something to do with the mouse...

As an experiment, I would try stopping the harddrake service, and preventing it from starting at bootup. It's possible that when harddrake detects stuff at startup (like maybe the mouse) it's rewriting your xorg config file.

Just a thought, but it might be worth trying.

Heh I'm new to Linux so i don't know a lot so umm sorry about that, whats Harddrake?

Ugh read what i said... the mouse isn't the problem.
Did you try with another mouse, and got the same problem?

If you want to experiment with disabling harddrake, you need to go into your list of services and click the checkboxes to disable the service. I'll assume you're using Mandriva 2007 Spring because you don't say otherwise...

In the menu, go to "System" and select "Configure your computer". You'll need to give the root password here.

Select the "System" tab, and click "Enable or disable the system services". You'll get a long list of services, sorted by name. Look for "harddrake" and see if it is running (Status "running" or "stopped") and see if it is set to start every time it boots ("On boot"). You can stop the service here and deselect the checkbox for "On boot" and see if that makes a difference to your problem. If it doesn't help, you can always set it back to how it was before in exactly the same way.

If you want to experiment with disabling harddrake, you need to go into your list of services and click the checkboxes to disable the service. I'll assume you're using Mandriva 2007 Spring because you don't say otherwise...

In the menu, go to "System" and select "Configure your computer". You'll need to give the root password here.

Select the "System" tab, and click "Enable or disable the system services". You'll get a long list of services, sorted by name. Look for "harddrake" and see if it is running (Status "running" or "stopped") and see if it is set to start every time it boots ("On boot"). You can stop the service here and deselect the checkbox for "On boot" and see if that makes a difference to your problem. If it doesn't help, you can always set it back to how it was before in exactly the same way.

Yes I'm using Mandriva spring (installed from the CD, currently downloading the DVD to install it in a better way).