File sharing with Linux and Unix

theYinYeti

I'm in the process of reorganizing my company's network.

One server will be Windows Terminal Server.

One server will be Linux for DNS, DHCP, HTTP, Samba...

Clients will mostly run rdesktop.

Clients (some) may be independant (not Windows Terminal), and run Windows or Unix/Linux.

(Do you see anything wrong so far? I hope not...)

So files will be served by Linux for the other server (Terminal Server) and for clients that are not running as Windows terminals.

So far, I think authentification will be done with LDAP/Samba, and file/printer sharing with Samba (file/print) and Cups (print only).

That leaves file sharing for Unix. What is the best solution for that?

Should Unix clients also use Samba to access the Samba shares exported via Samba on the Linux server; or should the shares also be exported via something else for Unix clients? If so, what? (NFS? ...)

Yves.

Well.. I am not the networking guru that you are, but why create two kinds of file transfer system when one do nicely for both? This is asuming you can make samba working in unix machines. Just less headache to configure for me anyway.

Well.. I am not the networking guru that you are, but why create two kinds of file transfer system when one do nicely for both? This is asuming you can make samba working in unix machines. Just less headache to configure for me anyway.

But NFS is so easy to setup for linux clients and just works without any problems. Potential problems with using smb and nfs on the same share is file permissions and file locking issues.

If i had a linux only network at work i would use NFS and not use Samba at all but alas it is not to be... Yet.

But yes you can use samba on both linux and windows and it means that linux users can share their data with windows users in a network neighbor fashion.

Anyway good luck!