FTP Server

Guest Grimey

Guest Grimey

In Windows I ran an FTP server that had a bunch of music/movies/files etc that I put up so that my friends could get them from me. I use both Windows and Linux due to school issues and the fact that I'm a noob in LInux and I was wondering if there is anyway to setup a FTP Server that allows users to access my Windows shares. I found a good tutorial on setting up an FTP server in general at the mandrake website but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to have a start point, like it jumps in assuming I can get to that FTP Server setup screen and well I can't...any suggestions?

Hi

I don't run any FTP server and never set one up. However, I know that if you install 'drakwizard' from RPMdrake, you will end up having a new icon in the the MCC. This icon will let you access a bunch of wizards to set servers like ProFTPd, Apache, Dhcp .. etc. So that could be a start point for you.

HTH

MottS

I'm afraid the setting up the ftp server wizard in drakwizard just setup whether the ftp server is viewable via internet or intranet. So it's not a good beginning.

Anyway, there is a tutorial of how to setup a ftp server in the Old Docs section above. It basically shows you how to edit your /etc/proftpd.conf file so that you have an anonymous ftp working. Here is the exact link

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cftp.html

I used that link to start having a ftp server up and running in no time. The more advanced version shows how to make an authenticated ftp.

Hope that helps.

Guest Grimey

Now in setting up an anonymous FTP like that it will allow anyone access and it will also also allow a set number or users right? So I can limit the usage...

Now in setting up an anonymous FTP like that it will allow anyone access and it will also also allow a set number or users right?  So I can limit the usage...

Yes

BTW, The DragonMage's link is perfect. Don't do my suggestion... those wizards sucks.

If you want to know all the options, read the HowTo on the ProFTPd webpage. Here it is:

http://www.proftpd.org/

MottS

Guest Grimey

Great, thanks you guys. I was trying to setup the FTP server and when I tired to connect to it, it wasn't working but I think I just need to fudge out some more code in the .conf file. I'm just confused on how I can make it so that it will open up my NT share not the share in the var directory.

If you can ftp using the ip number, then you are pretty much set. Anyway, where is your NT share located? Is it in an NT server or is it in the linux server?

Maybe you can post your /etc/proftpd.conf file. Some of the networking guru here can help you solve the problem.

Or another way to play around with configuring ftp server is to install webmin and apache and then activate them. To use webmin open your browser and type

https://localhost:10000

then play around from there..

Guest Grimey

ServerName "Grimey's FTP"

ServerType standalone

DefaultServer on

Umask 022

MaxInstances 5

Port 21

User nobody

Group nogroup

<Anonymous /mnt/nt2>

User ftp

Group ftp

UserAlias anonymous ftp

RequireValidShell off

<Limit WRITE>

DenyAll

</Limit>

</Anonymous>

That's what I have for my proftpd.conf file and the local host thing I tried just brought up a search engine, is that correct? And my NT drive is located on a secondary hard drive in my computer. Currently I'm dual booting with WinXP Pro and Mandrake 9.0 on one drive then a strictly Windows share on another drive. The drive I am trying to give people access too is at /mnt/nt2

That's what I have for my proftpd.conf file and the local host thing I tried just brought up a search engine, is that correct?  And my NT drive is located on a secondary hard drive in my computer.  Currently I'm dual booting with WinXP Pro and Mandrake 9.0 on one drive then a strictly Windows share on another drive.  The drive I am trying to give people access too is  at /mnt/nt2

I have a similar one to you, but there is one thing needed to be added.

<Anonymous /mnt/nt2>

User ftp

Group ftp

UserAlias anonymous ftp

RequireValidShell off

<Limit WRITE>

DenyAll

</Limit>

DefaultChdir /mnt/nt2

</Anonymous>

That is asuming that /mnt/nt2 is worldwide readable of course.

As far as the localhost thing is concerned, you need to activate both httpd and webmin in drakXservices section of Mandrake control center. Either that or typing

service httpd start

service webmin start

as root to start the services.

Don't forget to restart the proftpd server after redoing some changes to proftpd.conf by typing

service proftpd restart

Anyway, good luck.. let's hope the ftp works.. If people can ftp to your place using the ip number.. then it's all well. Now if only DNS is that easy.

I think what that line specify is to automatically change the directory to /mnt/nt2 whenever the ftp client type cd /

In effect /mnt/nt2 becomes the root directory for the anonymous ftpers. They cannot change the directory outside of /mnt/nt2 heirarchy, so they cannot change to directory say /home or /var or even /mnt/cdrom but /mnt/nt2/directory1 is ok.

I don't understand what you mean by specify certain directories. As long as your users are staying within the /mnt/nt2 heirarchy, anything under that is fair game for them to download such as /mnt/nt2/dir1/dir2/dir3 and so on. If you want to hide certain directories there is a trick from

http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/localsite/Userg...nked/x1174.html

using HideGroup.

Anyway, I suggest you read the proftpd users guide from

http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/localsite/Userg.../userguide.html

and start playing around with the configuration file. I mean, this thing is even beyond my use.. I am not a networking guru you know, just a user that likes to tweak around :)

Guest Grimey

Well I know that I can do that, but I have the nt2 directory and within that are 3 folders that I ONLY want shared, do you catch what I'm saying? I suppose I could put them into a folder and then share that but I was just wondering if there is another way to do that because I'm curious. And yea I hear ya on the whole not having a clue thing, hehe :D