Constant boot-up errors

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi

I installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 less than a week ago and everything usually works fine except that it takes 3-4 full boots to bring it up because each time I boot it gets stuck at a different line. When it does this, I usually have to just turn the computer off and keep trying until it finally boots up to the desktop.

Lately, I have been getting a message at boot-up that says "loading shared libraries - failed" and another error that say's "saslauthd - failed". I have no idea what any of this means but I was wondering how I should go about correcting it. I have already run an integrity check at boot-up and that has'nt helped.

PS: during the integrity check it said that I "may lose some data" and I noticed that it did a lot of repairs. Still, it's messed up.

Thank you

I'm curious. Do you have any other Operating Systems on that computer? Do they work properly, or do you have intermittant problems with them too? Do you notice any stability problems once Mandrake boots? I'm just wondering if perhaps some of your RAM might be going bad.

Guest greeneggs
I'm curious.  Do you have any other Operating Systems on that computer?  Do they work properly, or do you have intermittant problems with them too?  Do you notice any stability problems once Mandrake boots?  I'm just wondering if perhaps some of your RAM might be going bad.

Thank's for the quick reply. Yes, I have 2 hard drives (Windows on one and MDK 9.1 on the other). I don't use a dual boot though. Instead I switch between OS's through CMOS. Windows boots up and works fine. Mandrake takes several tries to boot up because it freezes on various lines at start-up but once it has booted up to the desktop it works great.

Thank's again. I appreciate your help

I would suggest that that is the reason for the problems. It looks like Mandrake is not getting the chance to load the initrd file into ram using that method. There is absolutely no risk to allow lilo or grub to boot both Mandrake and Windows and I believe that is the direction you should go.

Counterspy

absolutely agree with the lilo or grub thing....keep in mind this will require that you edit your /etc/fstab so that mandrake is found after you shutdown and connect both drives. Then you'll need to boot with cd1>press F1>type rescue to install the bootloader.

Guest greeneggs

Well, to be honest, I'd really rather not do a dual boot but you guys are probably right. I will just go ahead and set up a dual boot between Windows (one HD) and MDK 9.1 (the second HD) unless there is another way to do this. The only thing is that I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this manually (ie; creating a file or making an entry in fstab). Can I just do this automatically through the MDK control center and what icon(s) do I need to select?. Also, how do let MDK find my Windows HD?. Sorry to be so needy but I hav'nt done this in awhile and I'm a little bit rusty - just like the tin man on the Wizard of Oz. A couple squirts of oil and I should be fine :)

PS: Should I run a diagnostic test on the RAM and possibly try replacing it?

Guest greeneggs
Post your /etc/fstab please :wink:

Is there any way of just doing this through the MDK control center rather than messing around with that fstab file?

Guest greeneggs
Really best to post it. I am duel booting with 2 drives and it works fine. Once you see the file, you will understand how it works.

Ok but where do I find the fstab?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the fstab file but for some reason I can't copy and paste it. I can "copy" but the "paste" is grayed out when I go to paste it on this board. Lucky me, I guess :roll:

Guest greeneggs

Here it is, I used Gedit instead of Kwrite.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

Basically, you just need to change the a's to b's and comment out (#) the last line, and save.

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1 

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0 

/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2 

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

none /proc proc defaults 0 0 

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0 

#/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

Windows should be on the master (hda) and Mandrake on the slave (hdb).

Shutdown>hook up both hd's>boot with Install CD1 and at the first screen press F1> type

rescue

and hit Enter>and you'll be presented with a choice to install the bootloader. Do so, then I think there's a choice to reboot ( haven't been in 9.1's rescue yet). Let us know how it goes!

Guest greeneggs

Hi and thank's for being so helpful. This is really a great board and the people seem to be freindly and knowledgable.

However, to be completely honest (as I indicated earlier) I'd really rather not use a dual boot. I want to keep Windows and Linux completely separate. I want to do this because awhile back I used a dual boot and when Linux corrupted on me, I ended up having to reinstall both Linux and Windows. If I keep them separated, then I won't have any reason to blame Linux if it ends up happening again.

I have had no problems in the past accessing either OS through CMOS and this is also how several of my freinds do it. I've been doing it this way for over a year now with various versions of Redhat, Debian and even previous versions of MDK. I have no reason to believe that setting up a dual boot will solve the problem I'm having with MDK freezing up during boot and I really don't feel confident (or experienced) enough to start tinkering with sensitive files like fstab.

There. I've been honest. I hope I won't be seen as being stubborn, ungreatful or wasting everyone's time. This is just how I feel and I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide me with a different option to try. Once again, thank you very much for your help :D

There. I've been honest. I hope I won't be seen as being stubborn, ungreatful or wasting everyone's time.
I don't think so!...thanks for being honest.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide me with a different option to try.
You could try the Upgrade, or Upgrade Packages Only Option. Boot to CD1 and at the first screen hit F1 and type expert. This will take you through a few of the basic intall questions much like a default install, then it'll ask if this is an Install, Upgrade, or Upgrade pkgs only(either here or when you choose Upgrade). In your situation I don't know that Upgrading pkgs only will do it, but you could try it and if not, go back and do an Upgrade. This should repair pretty much anything and doesn't cause probs like Upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1 because you're not.