Constant boot-up errors

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs
There. I've been honest. I hope I won't be seen as being stubborn, ungreatful or wasting everyone's time.
I don't think so!...thanks for being honest.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide me with a different option to try.
You could try the Upgrade, or Upgrade Packages Only Option. Boot to CD1 and at the first screen hit F1 and type expert. This will take you through a few of the basic intall questions much like a default install, then it'll ask if this is an Install, Upgrade, or Upgrade pkgs only(either here or when you choose Upgrade). In your situation I don't know that Upgrading pkgs only will do it, but you could try it and if not, go back and do an Upgrade. This should repair pretty much anything and doesn't cause probs like Upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1 because you're not.

You can do that?. Wow, now this does indeed peek my interest!. So basically I'm just reinstalling (ie; rebuilding) the installation which has the effect of overwriting any corrupted files I may now have?. If this is the case then I think it is a great idea and I appreciate your help and understanding very much. I've had MDK 9.1 installed for 5 days now and hav'nt even had a need to use Windows. If things keep running good I might just dump that bad old Windows boogieman and pledge my allegiance to the penguin...lol.

Oh, since your the admin, I might as well ask you something else here. How much leeway do we get when discussing off-topic issues (when done in the appropriate forum)?. For example, I have a medical problem that involves a part of my anatomy that some "uptight" people or moralists might feel "evil, sinful and shameful" to discuss. Still, I find the Linux community to be different than most groups of people in that they seem to be less uptight and more accepting and willing to help other people. I have no idea what type of reception I'd get here (maybe boos and jeers or maybe others would come forward and want to help or share their own stories). Anyway, I just thought I would check before I post the wrong thing and get flamed or laughed out of here. I think that if you have a medical problem and want to share it, it should be ok as long as you don't get too graphic and it's posted in the "off-topic" area but I'll wait to hear back from you.

PS: Oh, I meant to ask: When I do an upgrade (as you suggested) do I lose any of the software I've installed or settings I've made (ie; in Evolution, etc)?.

Thank you

You can do that?
Yep! I did it several times in my early linux days.

So basically I'm just reinstalling (ie; rebuilding) the installation which has the effect of overwriting any corrupted files I may now have?
Exactly. When it gets to the Install media part, you'll see that it's going to replace some default pkgs that you've possibly removed. Seems to me that it runs some kind of system check. I can't recall any specifics, but I've done some pretty stupid things, and this has fix ALL of the probs except one time it didn't help at all.

PS: Oh, I meant to ask: When I do an upgrade (as you suggested) do I lose any of the software I've installed or settings I've made (ie; in Evolution, etc)?.
Not for personal stuff, but you may lose some sys settings if it has to replace sys pkgs.

Oh, since your the admin
I'm a moderator not admin :wink:

I think for the most part we're pretty open and mature here. I'll leave the decision up to you. We can always delete or edit it. If you'd like, you can pm me with a little more detail. Then I'd have a better idea as to whether it would be o.k. or not, and if I'm not sure I can discuss it with the other mods/admins .There have been a couple of people express some very personal issues here, and it seems that those that have similar issues repond and give support. Go for it