nvidia driver doesn't work

orts

I'm trying to get a computer up and running with Mandriva for my nephew's, but I can't get the nVidia driver to work for some reason.

The graphic-card is a nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb

I have installed nvidia-96xx, dkms-nvidia-96xx, kernel-source-2.6.17-14 (kernel is 2.6.17-14) and other depending packages, but compiz/beryl and Metisse just won't work, when I run 3D-drake, it tells me that the system doesn't support 3D desktop effects!

I have tried to look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it look like this

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX - GeForce 7950"
Driver "nv"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

What do I need to change?

If you need anything els, just tell me to find it and please tell me how to ;)

I just can't figure this one out 3D desktop effect ussualy just work in a second.

Thanks in advance

I've just tried to change from "nv" to "nvidia" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it doesn't work

And it tells me something like this "error: module does not exist" and something about nvidia.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf should indeed specify the 'nvidia' module, but that will only work if it actually exists. I suggest you use Xfdrake to install the correct Nvidia driver (97xx as adamw said). This will also pull in some other dependcies (dkms, nvidia-dkms, possibly gcc) and then generate the new nvidia module(if it fails then rebooting or restarting dkms will accomplish that).

There are some other pitfalls along the way but nothing unsolvable.

Thanks guys.

I installed the 96xx driver because I before did some problems with the 97xx driver on this graphic card.

This install has given me more problems than ever before, today I had to reinstall all kernels and that included afcause the kernel-sources too, but now it's running and my nephews are really excited over Compiz, and are right now bragging about the 3D-desktop to some friends, who are using Windows Vista.

Do anyone af you know if there is a guide to Metisse any where?

Regards

Orts