Where is my other hard drive? [solved]

3DsDeltaDawn

provide more information to increase the chance that somebody can pinpoint the problem. you can start with a description of what setup you have, what distro version, what did you do, what you expect to happen and any errors you encountered along the way.

and please avoid using all-capital letters in posting as that is tantamount to shouting (and thus not a good way to invite volunteer help). i know your pissed-off meter is already way high but we didnt have anything to do with it so there is no reason to vent it on this board. :)

stab in the dark to your problem.

i am assuming you have an external USB enclosure for hard disk drives. cycle the power of your enclosure and then plug it in on one of the free usb ports. after doing that, fire up a terminal and run the diskdrake utility. you will have a tab named sda or something. click on that and you will see the partitions in your drive. click on the partition and set a mount point (i.e., /mnt/enclosure) then go to the advanced options and then select the option that will allow normal users to mount it. close diskdrake to save the settings.

when you are back on the terminal, set the command

mount /mnt/enclosure

then navigate to the enclosure directory. if the partition was ntfs then you will have at least read permission. i heard ntfs-3g allows write but i havent tried it yet.

if the above doesnt solve your problem then the more the reason to provide more information. :)

ciao!

provide more information to increase the chance that somebody can pinpoint the problem. you can start with a description of what setup you have, what distro version...

Mandriva 2007

what did you do, what you expect to happen and any errors you encountered along the way...

I installed on a 60 gig drive with the other 250 gig Maxtor SATA, data drive disconnected

Later after many issues I was able to boot without problems so I rebooted, and attached the other drive.

I have no access to that drive it seems and everything is on it, pics, music, web design, school, docs,

Now that drive was originally a Windows drive and I tried to install Windows on that drive since I wiped out the Windows boot drive to switch to Linux

reboot caused by windows told me the boot MGR was somethin?, basically corrupt, so I popped in the Linux DVD and rescued

I'm in Linux, but I have no access to the files on that drive, or I don't know how to access them.

and please avoid using all-capital letters in posting as that is tantamount to shouting (and thus not a good way to invite volunteer help). i know your pissed-off meter is already way high but we didnt have anything to do with it so there is no reason to vent it on this board. :)

Sorry But I have been through 60 gig of data loss, installing and re- installing Linux, because I have had it with Microsoft and I have spent the last 4 days trying to figure out what I'm doing.

I am or was a Tech support for various Microsoft based Software companies and I feel like I am back to dos without any comprehension as to where to go.

So the vent is not aimed at anyone

Just frustration in general.

You don't have reboot to mount it... just set a mount point for it.

Can you post your /etc/fstab thingy?

cat /etc/fstab

[DeltaDawn@localhost Desktop]$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /media/cdrom2 auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

[DeltaDawn@localhost Desktop]$

I am afraid to mount that drive, because I am unsure what I am doing and I have a lot of very important data on it.

Now, I don't know how that data is going to work in Linux, but I just can't lose it.

Can you tell me what is safe?

I am strapped for money, but as soon as I have it I am going to get some books on this OS.

I don't like feeling stupid on a computer and although I started learning Windows through crashing and recovering, tweaking out and doing crazy stuff, my courses at school let me know what I had done and better ways to get there.

In the mean time, I already wiped one drive out and put Linux first, but I can't have that happen to the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3D

Mount it via drakdisk (although you could also add an fstab entry by hand).

If the drive is formatted as NTFS, then Linux will have read-only access to them, so they aren't in any danger of data loss.

You can use read/write access on that drive "at your own risk" if you wish (IMHO it's quite safe), but the default is read only access.

Oh My God,

This is the solve.

Wow, what a relief

The latest stable NTFS-3G driver is ntfs-3g-1.516.tgz, released on May 16, 2007.

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

The application was under the available apps for install in the control center.

I ran the utility and voila, I had an option to mount and I see it all.

YIPEEE!!

Well, thanks to all the help and I am on to installing VMWare server, hope all goes well.

Over and Out,

• 4 months later...
Guest stevensmith

This helped me so much, thanks.

I got Mandriva 2007 Spring with an Aussie computer mag, PC World. I was looking for a good Linux distribution that a) didn't cost anything and b) was relatively easy to use.

I thought I had it all sorted out, when i tried to get to the main partition of my hard drive, of which the linux ext3 partition was a small part. But i couldn't get it to open.

Then I found this, and now i'm happy.

thanks again