Can I get help configuring my USB headset?

Mitchell

Hi everyone, am having trouble with my Logitech USB headset. Was working finr when I installed Mandriva spring 2007.1 a few weeks ago, and now the computer recognises when it's plugged in, but classes it under 'unknown devices'. Was having trouble with playing sound through my regular speakers, so I played around with what was installed under alsa and with my gstreamer plugins. Have tried it with all plugins installed, and it's not working...can anyone shed some light on this? The sound through my regular speakers is fine, but I can't get anything from my headset. Thanks!

SOLVED

How does your headset connect to your computer? Straight to the sound card?
Straight into the USB port, I would guess, no?

Sorry, I haven't used one of these, my headset has two plugs for the soundcard, one for speakers and one for mic.

Thank you guys so much for replying. I am using a usb device, so it plugs into the front port of my machine. Port is working fine for other devices, and I've tried the back ports as well, no change. It's frustrating and weird as I know this device works with Mandriva through browsing other postings (using Logitech USB 350 Headset), and earlier in the life of my installation it was working fine...was just the other sound that wasn't... Anyway, I can only think that I've misconfigured something, no real idea what. I'll write more a bit later when I'm in Mandriva again, I'm on my windows xp partition right now. I am soooo close to being able to switch totally to Mandriva, left on my to-do list is get my headset working again, get the softphone running (likley either Ekiga or Twinkle, though I've also downloaded x-lite for linux. Already have an account with an outside company), and find some kind of replacement for ACT2000. This last one so far has been the hardest, all the contact management systems seem to have gone web-based. Linux and Unix coding I'm able to sort through, but installing web-based programs, even to run on 'localhost' has been unusually difficult...slowly slowly.

Anyway, I'm rambling, will post some more info about my setup shortly. Cheers

Just checking the plugins within sound I have installed (software management, MCC), and under alsa only my alsa-utils-1.0.14 package is installed. This is because I was trying to restore my plugins to where they were originally before I started stuffing around with them to get sound through my speakers working. At one stage I had all of them installed. Found the graphical plugins for alsa pretty useless, and whenever I tried to run alsaconf all of my sound would crash...

The gstreamer plugins were the other ones I altered, as when I tried to get to the GUI sound menu (located on the speaker icon in the top right default position) I was told there weren't any gstreamer plugins installed...hmmm...forget what was originally there, but I installed ALL of them from the package manager. In the MCC Hardware list, now my Logitech Headset is listed, but under unknown devices. Any ideas how I've stuffed this up? More importantly, how to get it working again? Unsure about my sound card, can't find the literature on it, but in Hardware under MCC it says I've got a 'SIS AC'97 Sound Controller'. Not sure if that helps or not...

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...