Redhat's Bluecurve Desktop

ral

Yes Redhat is rather particular about that. My understanding is that if you redisirbute copies of Redhat, you should not call it "Redhat" or even make referrence to this and you should remove all their proprietary icons.

As for the freecurve...I'll try it in a bit, but I like my Linux having a decively Linux look. But I think I will install Mandrake 9 in two PC's in a Internet Cafe I help manage. One with freecurve and see what people think about it (and KDE standard as well).

Right now the shop is running 12 PC's, 2 on WinXP, 2 on Win98 and 8 on Win95. Maybe its time to introduce them to Linux.

It is pretty slick. Might have to install it at work to coax the Windows bigots off their XP.

I like KDE3.0 myself. Bluecurve could definitely convert grandma though.

OK, I'm outta the loop. What's the diff. between bluecurve and freecurve???

Did quick search on Google with both parameters. First link I got was this....

http://www.steidler.net/archives/000086.html

"I've been using the Red Hat 8.0 version, in the null beta form, for about a week on my test machine at home. I'm actually not too big on the Bluecurve desktop. My dad sent me an email tonight saying it left him feeling a bit empty. Without having put words to it before reading the email, that was exactly the feeling I've gotten from my limited use. It's really a mixed bag. The UI is clearly simpler. It's cleaner and less cluttered. For that, the folks at Red Hat should be commended. And, in a lot of useful ways, it seems very similar. I guess I just haven't put my finger exactly on what's caused the feeling that something critical is missing.

In the meantime, I haven't yet received the Pro box from Red Hat. That's the reason for still running the null beta on the test box. It's also the reason for not having signed up for the Psyche mailing list. I'll do a full-blown review of 8.0, probably over the course of two weeks, when I receive the box. If I get my head cluttered up with too many other opinions, it'll toughen the job of sorting out my own."

....gee, sounds like Windows 9x. Oh well. Better call grandma. It is finally safe for her to start using linux. She can feel "empty" after using it just like she does with Winbloze. Bill Gates beware!!!

Some people just can't handle "using" a computer!

RH8.0 with Bluecurve looks like its targetting Windows users migrating to Linux. That really isn't a bad thing. You can also make RH8.0 more Linux lIke :)

I am staying with ML9. Originally I was planning to deploy to PC's w/ ML9 in a small internet cafe my GF owns. I think we will be deploying RH8 instead for two reasons:

1. It probably will be easier to use for our cliewnts who are used to Windows.

2. The OpenOffice.org spellcheker works and I have not been able to fix the one in ML9.

No...I am not leaving or anything. My own baby (my personal PC) - now that redundant will have ML (with Win98SE) installed on it. I still prefer using Win98 than wine or winex for games. Though lately i have been buying only games that run on Linux (got a second hand copy of Quake II, hunting for a copy of AVP gold, and will get Neverwinter Nights as soon as the Linux Client is released).

We are also planning to add a file sharing server in June 2003 (on a router right now), that will run on ML too.

As for moving to Linux in the shop, its really a financial thing.

Past three months we replaced 3 PC's. 1- 2k and 2 - XP's with MSOffice on board. The software was 40% of the cost (and they don't even have Powerpoint).

"Best of luck, ral.

Any linux is better than no linux at all."

Dragonmage got my spellchecker fixed. I guess I'll try one of each and see what the feed back is on each distro.

Luckily they have already migrated to Mozilla and have used Open Office which is installed on a two of the Windows machines. Little bt little...step by step, we will bring some of the into the fold :twisted:

In the long run it may not really save any money as we will charge less for the Linux machines, but in the past 10 days I have reinstalled Windows in 8 out of 12 PC's, and this happens monthly. At least I will have two nice stable machines.