need to change kernel to enterprise

hi i just bought a 512 mb stick of ram so now i have 1024mb

linux didn't boot untill i selected failsafe and then booted in from there, it's only allowing 896 or something similar megs of ram and say to use the enterprise kernel.

What would be the best way to proceed? urpmi the kernel rpm?, i would have to get rid of the current and redo the nvidia drivers

You could do urpmi kernel_enterprise xxxx only problem with that is, that will over write your default entry in lilo, if it doesn't install properly, you could be in trouble. Best bet is to add the enterprise kernel, then if all goes well you can delete the old one . Scroll down to half way of this page (Black Magic Kernel updates) for instructions on updating/adding kernels:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/magic.php

thats not the real problem

a urpmi kernel-enterprise installs no problem and adds a seperate entry for lilo

my real problem i have found is my kt333 motherboard is not handling the 3 sticks of ddr333 memory

if i use 2 sticks no problems, even turning the frequency to 266 on the motherboard doesn't work with 3 sticks.

guess i better look at the gigabyte website and see if they have a solution.

Were all three sticks bought simultaneously, same brand, etc.? If not, you might want to try manually shifting the position of the sticks and see if it helps.

for example:

from

stick 1 ---- slot a

stick 2 ---- slot b

stick 3 ---- slot c

to

stick 3 ---- slot a

stick 1 ---- slot b

stick 2 ---- slot c

and other configurations. You'd be amazed how many times this has made a difference for me.

Isn't this a common problem in VIA boards? I read back in the old anandtech review that KT333 boards have problem maintaining stability if more than 2 memory slots are filled.

Here is a link (for ABIT KX333)

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1636&p=4

The KX7-333 does have four DIMM slots, but stability with all four banks populated isn't guaranteed. In fact, we could only run the board reliably with two memory banks populated at DDR333 speeds with the timings set to automatically adjust according to the modules' SPD logic. In some cases, we could get three modules to work relatively well but overall you shouldn't count on using more than two sticks of memory in the KX7-333 without sacrificing stability

Another (Epox 8A3K+)

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1636&p=9

The board features a full 6 PCI slots and a single AGP 4X slot not to mention three DIMM slots. Like all too many of these boards with more than 2 memory slots, stability isn't guaranteed with all banks populated. You will be able to use a maximum of two DDR333 modules without sacrificing stability. We also ran into other issues with 3 DIMMs installed such as incorrectly reporting the memory size at POST.

Well you get the idea. Try reading through the review and check whether your mb has the same problem.

I had already tried the stick swapping routine with no success

Can't find reviews of the board a gigabyte GA-7VRX rev2.0 that mention this.

Damn guess i just have to use 768mb :x

a urpmi kernel-enterprise installs no problem and adds a seperate entry for lilo

Just for future reference, urpmi kernel xxx does add a new entry in lilo, BUT

both initrd bla bla will point to the same kernel. Unless you edit the stanza, you can't boot the old kernel.

can you trade in your two 256 for a 512 without losing too much money?

nah the 2 256 sticks were the ones i got with the motherboard , at the time it was less than 2/3 the cost of getting a single 512 stick, had i known at the time i would have spent the extra for the single.

Now the 512 stick i got today cost about the same as 256 when i first got the board.

Anyway thanks for all the advice.

Well it looks like it may not be totally to do with the kt333 chipset at all but a limitation of the kernel and geforce 4 cards i have a ti4200 128mb card.

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3198

In which case i may be able to use the extra ram.

from the 9.1 errata

Error scenario: Booting the installer, a machine with a lot of memory (1GB or more) hangs with flashing caps/scroll lock LEDs (Bugzilla #3198).

Why: It seems as though there is framebuffer trouble with certain video cards on machines with a high amount of memory.

Solution: At the installer splash screen when you first boot off the CD or floppy disks, press F1 and type "linux vga=0".