boot loader [solved]

Kieth

There's no filename as such on the MBR as far as I know. However, if you are talking about Linux and configuring it, it will either be in /etc/lilo.conf if you are using lilo or /boot/grub/menu.lst (or sometimes /boot/grub/grub.conf depending on distro) if you are using grub.

I have met /boot/grub/grub.conf only on Fedora. I don't think any ther distro uses it, and anyway Fedora symlinks /boot/grub/grub.conf to /boot/grub/menu.lst anyway.

I wouldn't reply here, but judging from other posts of you you made "bad" usage of the above information.

When I did my Debian install (I think) when it came to the boot loader it asked me if I wanted to put it on /dev/hda, the MBR. There is a /dev/hda but it's certainly not one of the partitions. I don't try and figure it out as long as the distro does.

Actually, I "messed up" my boot loader a few days ago, maybe even a week ago. I thought I would just delete the boot loader file, then re-install it by putting in the Mandriva dvd and up-grading. Before doing that though, I had to know where the boot loader was, and what it was called, which is why I ask the original question. Then after I found the boot loader, I decided to write another question (the other post I opened), and see if there was other ways (better ways?) to resolve the problem.

Kieth