ALSA Upgrade

Srikar

Hi,

Im a linux newbie and after having trouble with most other distros,decided to go with Mandriva. I installed 2007 Spring and it works very fine. But I have a problem. I can't get my headphones and mic to work. Even if i connect the headphones, the sound keeps coming from my speakers. I googled this problem and looks like this has been fixed in subsequent releases of ALSA. Right now, the default 2007 Spring installation uses 1.0.12 ALSA and I need to upgrade it to 1.0.14. Could somebody suggest, how I can do this upgrade ? I tried doing the upgrade my compiling the ALSA drivers la the Ubuntu or Suse way, but that screwed up my sound earlier. Do I get any Mandriva specific ALSA drivers rpm's ? Plz suggest.

Thanks,

Srikar

Edited by Srikar

If you are running KDE: start the program Kmix (if it starts only in the system tray, then right click -> Show mixer window), then go to the tab 'Switches' then make sure Headphone Jack Sense and Line Jack Sense are checked (the "lights" beside them should shine yellow).

I'm sure other mixing software got something similar.

You don't even bother mentioning which soundcard you are using... so you GOT to be sure that the ALSA version is the root of your trouble, while it could easily be something much simpler.

Anyway, the easiest solution for having alsa 1.0.14 is getting the source RPM's from Cooker - say from here - and building them for your 2007.1:

rpm --rebuild libalsa*.src.rpm

(it's alsa 1.0.14.rc4 which is the latest devel release)

...and after that rebuilding the alsa* src.rpm's from the same ftp link, one by one.

This of course means you do know how to satisfy the missing dependencies, if any.

Edited by scarecrow

The sound card is Intel. Hope this helps.

Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

Had similar problems when I used Suse,but upgraded to ALSA 1.0.14 and it solved the problem. Now , im not sure how I have to upgrade to 1.0.14 on Mandriva Spring. It would be great if someone could outline the steps in detail.

82801G is working with the snd_hda_intel module, and it should work since ALSA 1.10 RC2.

But this info is not enough as the high definition intel soundchips use more than one dozen different codecs. We need to know the actual codec to suggest what "model" argument you should pass to the driver. Without the correct "model" the mixer inputs and outputs will be completely wrong, and (possibly) non-functional. 1.0.14 probably makes a better detection of your soundard's codec (and so it works right out of the box), but it should also work fine with your current alsa version and *little* work.