Newbie Caution

Trio3b

As a new Linux user for about 2 years now I feel obliged to give a heads up to prospective new Linux users about the subversive tactics employed by a proprietary software giant we all know. This giant company is feeling the heat of large corporate users migrating to Linux and now with Dell offering opensource in its Desktop product line, this large proprietary software firm MUST rely on their long history of dispensing FUD about the opensource movement. Remember, this corporation is really a world class public relations master first and foremost, and what better way to disseminate FUD than to deliver carefully choreographed sideswipes at opensource disguised as "help"?

By and large, most forums including this one have helped immensely in my migration from the Windows world to opensource and I am now completely reliant on GNU / Linux for my day to day business needs.

However, there are a few Linux websites and forums out there that upon closer inspection, leave the distinct impression that they are dispensing FUD disguised as "help". For the new linux user here are some tips to help keep you aware about the true intentions of any random Linux forum:

If the website in question is not directly associated with a specific distro - caution

If the Windows vs Linux thread in a forum is constantly in play and the other threads relating to actual help haven't had a post in weeks - red flag

If there are only a handful of repeat members who are "reviewing" distros AND their reviews "seem" to suggest that Linux has some nice features, but just isn't ready - red flag.

Some of these reviews are very well written in that they don't outright bash Linux and they appear to be fair and balanced, but they always leave the reader with the impression that maybe the new user should wait until linux matures - red flag

There are a number of domain registration databases. Find out who the owner or webmaster of the site is. Google this owner or webmaster and the name of the giant proprietary software company in the search text box with a "+" between them. You may be amazed at the red flag you come up with

This does not necessarily include Linux forums with advertising by the proprietary software giant. Some of them have to rely on that revenue stream, but you have to question their motivations.

This determination CANNOT be based on a few sporadic visits to the forum in question, or by any single one of the aforementioned red flags alone. But if, over time your gut tells you that the general tone is not beneficial to the opensource movement AND several of the above red flags are evident, consider removing them off your help list and warn others of your suspicions.

Conversely, please be alert to forum threads and members who make unrealistic promises about migration to any OS, including GNU / Linux. There is a learning curve no matter how you slice it or dice it.

Hope this helps a Linux newb

Edited by Trio3b

Reminds me of a news story I read a few years ago about a certain billionaire--let's call him BG--giving a press conference about a study that said the total cost of running Linux was greater than the total cost of running, um, a certain other OS. The news story had a link to the study, so I clicked on it and actually read the study, only to discover that the study said no such thing. Unfortunately most people reading the infotainment du jour probably didn't take the extra step of going to the source and checking the facts.

The latest release of this un-named software giant.... oh bunk! Vista has turned into a major botch (predicted by those who know) I have noted with great interest that the PR machine is in full swing. There is no fixing Vista, but PR is the answer. The tech world still needs to watch out for "safe computing" which means that hardware will only work with windows. SAVE THE BIOS! Just because Redmond stopped talking about it does not mean it has gone away. IMP, their cooperation with linux is merely a way to head off their next big development, no bios required.

All of the big developments are about them, not users.

Just noticed when attempting to get a Lexar USB drive working on Vista that I entered administrative services and lo and behold I was presented with a window warning me that I was getting into administrative 'territory".....just like when entering MCC.

MS is going to do WHATEVER it takes to pull backhanded swipes at GNU/ Linux, or as someone elase mentioned. 'damning with faint praise".

I have no doubt they are going to ask Intel's help in order to futz with Palladium, now called safe computing as you say, or they are going to implement web based software, or adopt and absorb the linux kernel and claim it as their own. Sorry, you or I may know the difference but the average user is going to think MS invented UNIX and Linux.

Oh....BTW, Vista needed drivers for the USB drive.

Edited by Trio3b

Just noticed when attempting to get a Lexar USB drive working on Vista that I entered administrative services and lo and behold I was presented with a window warning me that I was getting into administrative 'territory".....just like when entering MCC.

Not a significantly new approach though, in XP you got a warning message before you where able to see any files in c:\windows and c:\program files.