Nagging sound problem

javaguy

Before anybody asks, yes I went to the KDE sound system thingy (I think that's the technical term for it), and yes, sound is enabled.

Whenever I log in I get no sound. Then I switch to root and run alsaconf, and sound works just fine for most things. I still can't get any of the KDE notification sounds to play--even when I go into the tool where you configure them and click the button to "preview" a notification sound, it won't play. But for everything "important," i.e. games and music, I get sound. If I log out and log back in again, however, I have to switch to root and run alsaconf again to get it to work.

This is an area of Linux I would love to see somewhat standardized across distributions. Sound configuration should not be rocket science.

Before anybody asks, yes I went to the KDE sound system thingy (I think that's the technical term for it), and yes, sound is enabled.

You mean aRTs, right? I'd suggest installing JACK, a newer (and better supported?) sound server.

This is an area of Linux I would love to see somewhat standardized across distributions. Sound configuration should not be rocket science.

I can only affirm that!

alsactl names

causes the whole system to freeze up. :(

That doesn't sound good (no pun intended).

I've never used Jack. I was just asking because if you had installed it, you also needed the plugins.

If you have Jack installed now (with ALSA), and are having this problem, I would suggest completely removing it and trying to set up alsa again.