sendmail not working

javaguy

No, not for local delivery. I want to send something out to an e-mail address on the Internet.

Seems to me that you are possibly opening your system to unintentional abuse. As Paul says the MX records are not available to your 'localhost' This is a safety precaution put in place from your internet provider. You will have to provide a 'fully qualified host address. That is you have to use your Internet Providers mailserver.

I think I'm on the right track here. :unsure:

/etc/hosts is:

127.0.0.1 javaguyhost.localhost javaguyhost

I get a returned mail saying:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<javaguy@sammckee.com>

(reason: 550-Verification failed for <javaguy@javaguyhost.localhost>)

[...]

The message is address to javaguy@sammckee.com, not @javaguyhost.localhost.

FWIK the last line says it: Your email addresss is javaguy@sammckee.com. I presume this is correct. What is the "real" hostname of your machine? You said you're using dhcp, which is absolutely okay.

/etc/hosts reflects there's something wrong with your domain setting (the first line states your machine is named javaguyhost (which would be okay) but within the domain "localhost" (which is not okay). A corrrect entry in /etc/hosts would be:

127.0.0.1 localhost javaguyhost

Thus the domain name should be set automatically by your DHCP server, which could result into the following fully qualified hostname:

javaguyhost.sammckee.com

However, most ISPs give different domain names to their customers, so computers with equal hostnames would not interfere and by giving IP numbers automatically, they can serve more customers. Thus you can surf the net without setting a FQHN. As mentioned by SilverSurfer, mail relay at your ISPs mailserver (accepting and transporting mail) is most probably limited in order to prevent spamming. But that would not be a problem as long as the domainname you present to the mailserver is within it's range of allowed domains. If you present "localhost" as part of your domainname, this is obviously not accepted by your ISPs mailserver.

In short: With the entry above you would not set a domainname manually, instead the rest of the FQHN (the domain part) should be set by your dhcp client. That would result in a full name like:

javaguyhost.dynip-dialup12345.sammckee.com

The dynip-dialupXXXXX name range should be in the range of allowed domains for your provider. As long as your ISP runs a mailserver accepting email like that you could send using KMail (using SMTP or IMAP) with, sendmail should work, too.

Edit: Your /etc/mail/authinfo entry must reflect the email password and the username valid for that mailserver, which may be different from the username/password combination you use to establish a connection to your ISP!

Edited by scoonma