Upgrading One to Free [solved]

evillegas

When you say "installed", do you really mean installed on to your hard drive? In which case you should have exactly the same as what you'd get from a "Free" install. Certainly you shouldn't have to do anything extra apart from setting up your urpmi sources and checking for any updates.

Mandriva one is a strip down version of mandriva free, that contains only a fraction of packages so it could fit on one CD. You can add to MDV-one packages from 2007.1 Free easy-urpmi mirrors, so no upgrade or installation needed. Of course the packages that you could get on Free CDs - you have to download them separately, if you need them at all.

Yes I mean installed on my hard drive, sorry I'm still in a Microsh*t state of mind.

I have been having problems compiling a lot (most) programs, or installing them through RPMs, thats why I wanted to update to the FREE version (dvd) from the ONE (CD) to get all the missing apps and functionality.

I'm really new to Mandriva, and the last time I actually used UNIX was in college and Xwindows was the hottest NEW item for UNIX. (yeah I'm old)

How do I get all the apps and updates from the FREE DVD into my instalation???

Or easier still I really don't have any info I care to save on my Mandriva drive, how could I erase it and start from scratch with the Free Version.

Thanks

Ed.

Don't reinstall. If you just set up your urpmi sources, you can get everything that's on the DVD plus loads loads more just with a few clicks.

Try going into the System menu and select "add software" (or something like that). It'll hopefully ask if you want it to set up the sources automatically for you. For me that didn't work for some reason so I had to use easy-urpmi to set up the links to repositories near me.

After that, you're good to go - just select the software you want to add and go! :)

OK, I'll try that right now.. I get back to you in a few mins..

OK, that didnt work, better said, I don't think I'm doing it right.. I go to Aplications -> System then in Install, Remove or Update Software

There the Software manager starts, I try to add the distro DVD as a new source but get an error.

My biggest problem (why I wanted to reinstall) is that if I try to install almost anything it gives me a 'Some requested packages canot be installed name_of_software_ver# (due to unsatisfed file_name.so.#

This last file name is normally a lib###.so.# file which I would belive is a library file.

any ideas??

I'm really looking into formating the drive and starting over if I cant resolve this today.

Thanks again

ed.

Edited by evillegas

Go into "Install, Remove and update Software" as before. Go to "Options", "Media Manager". Go to "Add". A dialog box pops up:

This step enables you to add sources from a Mandriva Linux web or FTP mirror.

[ Official updates ] [ Distribution sources ]

Click on "Official updates". A new dialog pops up:

This will attempt to install all official sources corresponding to your distribution (Mandriva Linux release 2007.1...)

Is it ok to continue?

[ No ] [ Yes ]

Click "Yes". You then get a big list of mirrors ordered by country. Choose one near you and press "OK". It will then download a list of packages for updates.

Now, press "Add" again, and choose "Distribution sources" this time, you get a new list, choose one near you and press "OK". It will then download lists of packages for main, contrib and non-free repositories.

Make sure the ones you want are enabled, and then press "Ok". Your repositories are now all hooked up. Select File -> Reload the packages list from the Software Management menu and you should then find a whole load of stuff available for install. Select the ones you want and press "OK".

Now, isn't that easy? ;)

Thanks Neddie and Mhn,

I did the Easy-urpmi and I got all the repository updates and everything, but I still get the same error 'Unsatisfied libmagik######'

or something oof the sort on various programs, I looked it up and it seems to be a 2007.1 release problem.

I'm going to format and re-install with the FREE DVD (has all the RPMs included) I'll let you know what happened.

Just for clarity I'm trying to install Kismet and Stellarium, these are both basically game me the same kind of error, but a few other did the same thing.

Edited by evillegas

It's mostly personal preference. They look slightly different, and behave slightly differently, and some of the programs and tools are a little different, but there's nothing to stop you using the gnome apps (like gftp) with KDE, or the KDE apps (like Kate) with gnome.

Look at the screenshots and see which you prefer. Or compare screenshots of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. You can always add the KDE packages to a gnome install and vice versa.

PS/ Interesting - Firefox 2 highlights "Kubuntu" as misspelt and offers "Ubuntu" as an alternative!

BTW, neddie is wrong at one point: don't click on Official Updates, click on Distribution Sources. Official Updates only gives you *update* repositories - /main/updates and /contrib/updates. It doesn't actually set up the main repositories which will give you access to more packages. Distribution Sources does this.

OK, so I formatted my drive and reinstalled the complete FREE version and now I'm running KDE, and now everything is working.

Although I have to say, GNOME is a better looking more interactive desktop, KDE is just looks and feels like a basic upfront GUI. (read windows)

But everthing is working, and that is nice.

thanks for your help guys, but don't go to far I will need much more hehe

Thanks again

Ed