No sound in 2007.1 Free [solved]

dude67

This is the second problem I said I had with 2007.1 Spring Free installation in addtion to the external HD issue.

I managed finally to get the 2007.1 upgraded and mostly everything is operating fine. This problem is that I cannot get any sound from the system... I've tried it with Amorok and system sounds, but nothing.

I tried typing "esd" in Konsole, but nothing happened. Even Konsole seemed to stop there - only Ctrl - C would stop whatever it was doing (seemingly nothing). It doesn't matter if I run it as root or not.

I can't see what the problem might be. I've got every last updates there are in MCC (I've got smart-urpmi from http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/).

I checked the Mandriva Errata list - nothing there.

I'm running the 64 bit version of 2007.1 Spring Free.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not working, but I got this pop-up message when rebooted the PC after enabling sound service:

Informational - artsmessage

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

OK, this works great, but it must be done every time I start Mandriva. How could I fix it permanently? :o

I had a similar issue. Part of my solution was to edit /etc/modules.preload (have I got that file location right?) to add another line to the list of modules, giving the name of the essential hw sound module that was found by alsaconf. That should then mean the basic sound hw driver gets loaded each time.

If that isn't enough, you might also need to check that alsa is set up to be started on boot (my system is now set to start alsa on boot -- and it then claims to have stopped alsa again, but curiously enough that doesn't affect the sound). You will probably also need to go into KDE to 'enable' the sound system in KDE.

And the last hurdle I had to jump to get some sound each time was that the sound was all looking fixed up, but no sound was coming out, and I found that for some reason still unknown, on every startup, the PCM playback channel level was being reset to zero sound volume! (I found that one out by fiddling with alsamixer and alsactl, to examine, set and store sound levels.) In the end I had to fix it with a kludgy workaround script in rc.local, to make sure the relevant channel level was hoiked back up to an audible level by doing an 'alsactl restore -f' from a reliable sound-state file, at the end of startup!

I hope this helps.

Terry

I had a look at my modprobe.conf

remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true
alias ath0 ath_pci

remove i810_audio /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove i810_audio
install i810_audio /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install i810_audio

Why is there so many lines with the Intel audio module?

ALSA Services are running (well currently of course as I've run alsaconf) and the service is set to run On boot.

I will have to see if the volume is set to zero level the next time I start up.

But didn't alsaconf show you what the name of the module was? What name did you use (or see delivered on the screen) when you successfully got the sound hw working on a one-time basis? Whatever, it should be the same name for use with the startup loader. Good luck.