noob needs help

Guest hanxsolo

Guest hanxsolo

:wall: hi, just installed linux for 1st time and chose mandriva 2007 one, i have installed it as a dual boot system with xp all seem ok until i try to ypdate the system when i get the following error mess .....Unable to add medium, errors reported:

...retrieving failed: rsync failed: exited with 23 or signal 0

unable to access first installation medium (no hdlists file found)

being a complete newbie to linux i have no idea what this means or how i should fix it...

many thanks in advance

hanxsolo

Welcome aboard :)

I guess (from what I read) you tried to add easyurpmi mirrors (link at top of page). If this is so, use the compressed index (sysnthesis.hdlist.cz) file. That one should work. If you haven't added some mirrors yet, please do it now. Read this, too. https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40552

rsync shouldn't be a problem as long as the file exists on the server where easy-urpmi (or wherever you got your source from) thinks it is. From that error message (no hdlists file found) it just sounds like the file (which is the index to all the rpms in that repository) isn't there, or has been moved.

Double-check your sources and change to different ones if you can't find the right path. Or tell us which repositories it's having a problem with.

I have always used ftp mirrors. I thought that rsync would be best if one were updating on a schedule with a machine that is live all of the time. Some mirrors are more reliable than others. For example, despite being in the US, the nluug mirror in the Netherlands has always been consistent in speed and reliability, even more so than mirrors here in the US.