2007.1 -- Upgrade or Fresh Install [solved]

RVDowning

I downloaded the Powerpack edition of 2007.1 last night. Anybody yet have any experience regarding doing an upgrade vs. a fresh isntall?

It is a major pain to have to reinstall all kinds of stuff, get dual monitors working again, add all the scripts I have back into the menu. get backup working, etc, etc, etc.

I was hoping I could just do a fresh install once a year, and perhaps on the mid-year cycle just do an upgrade. (After all, it is still the same kernel!)

Any thoughts?

Backup /home, upgrade, run etc-update, and if it doesn't work do a fresh install? I upgraded from 2006->cooker->2007.0->cooker->2007.1 without many problems. Maybe use smart instead of urpmi to upgrade (maybe try and get the latest version from 2007.1 repos first). The only thing not really working for me was the mandriva-kde profile, I had to run the kde-configuration tool first.

Edited by ffi

What are you upgrading from? I'm guessing you have 2006 on your system if you've not moved to 2007.0 already - just remembering previous threads.

It should just be a case of removing your current urpmi sources, and adding the 2007.1 sources. Then a:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

should take care of the rest. Just make sure you upgrade your kernel manually before you reboot, as this won't happen automatically. I believe the latest kernel is 2.6.17.13 or something along those lines. You can find out with:

urpmf --name kernel | grep 2.6.17

and take a look through them and just get the kernel-2.6.17.13mdv or whatever the latest is that matches that.

Alternatively, do:

uname -a

to find out what kernel you've got now, and then find the newest 2.6.17 one that matches to this. Just in case you've got a different one from the default 2006 or 2007.0 install.

I have 2007.0 on my system. Also, when I looked earlier at easyurpmi, the sources for 2007.1 were not yet there. But, I had already downloaded the dvd anyway as an early seeder, and was just considering doing an upgrade from there.

Current kernel on my system is is 2.6.17.11 (with source).

Upgrading from the CD would probably be easier, but if you have any packages from plf these wouldn't get upgraded. So would be best to make sure you have all the 2007.1 repositories like what you had in 2007.0 and then do the urpmi update command to see if anything got missed.

Changes between 2007.0 and 2007.1 shouldn't be that major compared to 2006 to 2007.1 so should be much easier for you.

I did an update from the cd. I haven't found online sources yet for 2007.1. It took about an hour and 15 minutes. Surprised it took so long. As soon as I find online sources I'll do another update.

Don't see much different yet on 2007.1 except for beagle (which I already removed) which is a kat replacement, and this "too wide" menu button on the task bar. Other than that, it looks identical to 2007.0.

This is the kernel I'm using:

[root@localhost Desktop]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.19.5-1mdv #1 Sat Feb 24 04:51:15 EST 2007 x86_64 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ GNU/Linux

To do an update via Internet, could I just remove my current urpmi sources and then do a:

urpmi --auto-select --auto (as Ian mentioned), without having to update, change my kernel?

Kieth

By any chance was it the ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu source that gave you the problem? I think something is wrong with the gatech.edu link that smarturpmi provides - I couldn't get a connection to it. Maybe the site is down or the link has changed. That gatech.edu link used to work in the past.

The ftp://mirrors.usc.edu site that smarturpmi provided worked fine for me.

Edited by jboy

Ha. As a matter of fact I was trying ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu (since it is closer to me), but went back to ftp://mirrors.usc.edu that I had been using before.

But, I was talking about the generated syntax. It was different from the syntax I have previously received from EasyUrpmi. Anyway, I just took the old syntax and replaced the 0's with 1's and left it at usc and all went well.

Except, now I can't get my mondo backup to run. Sigh.... (Different thread).

This is the kernel I'm using:

[root@localhost Desktop]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.19.5-1mdv #1 Sat Feb 24 04:51:15 EST 2007 x86_64 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ GNU/Linux

To do an update via Internet, could I just remove my current urpmi sources and then do a:

urpmi --auto-select --auto (as Ian mentioned), without having to update, change my kernel?

Kieth

Almost. Everything you said is okay except the kernel thing. You have to install a newer kernel from the repos. There are many many kernels available for 2007.1. You will see the list wen you launch e.g. from the cli

urpmq kernel

My upgrade to 2007.1 went perfectly well. I am running my lappy right now with the laptop-multimedia-kernel they provide.