auto update?

Guest Moldy

Guest Moldy

is there anyprogram ion mandriva to update ur drivers or anything online? or download updates? i downloaded something called easy urpmi...dont know what it does...well if you can help me that would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Luckily enough, there is no "autoupdate" in Mandriva, although they may be planning one.

So far the only autoupdaters I know come with Ubuntu (Adept) and SuSE (sorry that I forget its name). Both aim at making the casual Linux user feeling he is "almost" using windoze, which is (IMHO) a completely false strategy.

That said, critical drivers have to be updated only when you update your kernel, and that is handled in Mandriva by "DKMS". It's a blessing for new Linux users, and an annoyance for experienced ones.

Edited by scarecrow

is there anyprogram ion mandriva to update ur drivers or anything online? or download updates? i downloaded something called easy urpmi...dont know what it does...well if you can help me that would be greatly appreciated...thanks

You can use rpmdrake from the Mandriva control center (MCC) to install software, update and setup media mirrors. You can also follow the guidelines from easy urpmi and add media mirrors from the commandline.

To auto update everything I normally use this line (as root):

urpmi --auto-select

This guide helped me a lot when I was new to Mandriva:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Mandriva

Luckily enough, there is no "autoupdate" in Mandriva, although they may be planning one.

So far the only autoupdaters I know come with Ubuntu (Adept) and SuSE (sorry that I forget its name).

Mandriva has Mandriva online which hasn't been working for a long time. Now they are completely rewriting it and the soon to be released 2007.1 will have it. You may haven't heard about it because it was for pay only service.

If you are interested in unofficial solutions then the package manager smart has an update applet called ksmarttray.