Two Soundcards (switching)

SoulSe

I can´t believe I am asking this question :roll:

We have just converted a friend to Linux and he has two soundcards, both are detected and installed by 9.1 but he wants to use his Live instead of the onboard audio. How do you switch between the two? (don´t tell me to disable the onboard, that is not a solution).

Spanks.

Only a suggestion, but its probably wortha try. If you look in the KDE control centre under audio you can manully set the sound device. Normally this would be "/dev/dsp" but if you knew the device of the SB card you could set it to the right device. This should make the arts server use the SB and anything any apps that use arts as well.

I can think of no way to just switch between the two by just pressing a key or something.

Regarding disabling the onboard sound, most people here always sugest doing it at the bios level. I never do that. Just go to /etc/modules.config and put a # in front of the card you don't want to use.

Curios, when I don't turn off the on board sound in the bios, Mandrake wants to do something with the device, although I suppose if you just tell it to ignore it, it will stop asking when you boot up.