no graphical user interface

Guest coolguy_1986

Guest coolguy_1986

hi!!i downloaded the mini 1 cd version of mandriva linux 2007 and installed it.i had no problems in installing it but on starting it there was no graphical user interface but only command line interface.my system is intel 845 and i did set this correctly during installing linux.is it that graphical interface is not supported in mini 1 cd version??pls help.

Edited by coolguy_1986

Guest coolguy_1986
What happens when you type "startx" at the CLI?

actually i am new to linux so i didn't know about this 'startx', so this should work isn't it??will try it and let you know!! thanx for the tip.

Guest coolguy_1986

i typed startx at the cli and it gave me the following mssgs

"module loader present

(==)using config file"/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

using vt7

(ee)failed to loas module"i810"(no module found)

(ee)no devices detected

fatal server error

no screens found

X10:fatal IO error 104(connection reset by peer)on X server"0.0"after 0 requests with 0 events remaining"

Thats what i got!! could anyone please help me out.i have a samsung samtron 56v monitor and i did choose it during installing.

Guest coolguy_1986
run XFdrake (case sensitive!!!!) from the terminal (same place you ran startx) and select a graphics card until you have one that works for you

yaah while installing i had chosen intel845 which is my driver, was there any problem in that? and what do these vesa driver set?actually i am new to linux so don't have much idea!!

Guest coolguy_1986

hi!!i did run XFdrake (taking good care of case) but it only says command not found!!i tried all permutations of cases but it only said command not found??!!

Well, from what I read till here, you really only installed the mini-iso. That CD is for setting up a custom system. It will only install the bare minimum of applications for a working linux system (Linux, like UNIX was originally only a command-line OS, the graphical stuff was added later). So, what you should do now is:

add easyurpmi mirrors (see link at top of the page, there is explained how it works) and set up main, contrib and main updates mirrors with a compressed index (synthesis.hdlist.cz). The compressed index is much faster to add and still has enough information on the different applications for your purposes now (the "normal" index lists a huge amount of information that you don't need right now and only makes the index much bigger in size).

Once you have set up the basic mirrors, type in the terminal as root user

urpmi draktools

That will install XFdrake and other useful tools in case they really haven't been installed yet (=presuming that you will get the "command not found" result again when you type XFdrake as root). The control center with all the different tools is then available through one simple command: mcc

If you run XFdrake then and still get the i810 error reported, then please run as root from the terminal:

urpmi x11-driver-video-i810

Or install the driver using the MCC (short for: Mandriva Control Center aka: "configure your computer" in the system menu on your desktop), go to software -> install applications

This will install the necessary video driver for your computer. After this, run XFdrke once more. You should have working graphical environment then. If you don't have an error on i810 reported but a "no desktops" error, then you need to install a graphical desktop like KDE or Gnome or IceWM.

Good luck and welcome aboard. :)

Guest Francisco Reyes
run XFdrake (case sensitive!!!!) from the terminal (same place you ran startx) and select a graphics card until you have one that works for you

I am another new user trying to install Mandriva.

Havnig the same problem as the original poster of this thread. Only getting CLI mode.

I installed the full first CD for the FreeMandriva.

The name of the ISO was mandriva-free-2007-CD1.i586.iso

The install at one point asked me about CDs 2 through 4.

Did I need those other 3 ISOs?

When I try to run startx I get:

AIGLX: DRI Module not loaded.

Looking at /var/log/Xorg.o.log only showed me that same error. No other errors or warnings.

Tried running XFdrake as root, but I was unable to change the video card. Enter did not let me change and the only other keys that seemed to work were up/down arrow and left/right arrows(which took me to the cancel/ok buttons).

Searching archives I found some reference to the problem, but not very clear on what I need to do

In particular I see in this link, https://mandrivausers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t36256.html, that that DRI error has to do with Nvidia drivers.

That links points me to http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Mandriva

Is there a way to not use 3D acceleration and just get a basic setup working?

If all else fails and I need to re-install, what should I have chosen for video card? I chose Nvidia-FX as the option. That was already selected for me.

This is an old 800MHZ machine with an old video card so I don't want to have any fancy 3d interface. I would be happy with a working setup as long as it has 1024/768.

I am new to Linux/Mandriva, but a long time FreeBSD user. I am happy with FreeBSD on my servers, but wanted to try Mandriva as my desktop. A co-worker showed it to me and I was very impressed with what I saw.

Any hints or pointers greatly appreciated.

[EDIT] Figured out how to change video card in XFdrake. Still getting the eror.

Based on other threads I found it seems it may be a KDE problem.

How do I start gnome instead? I only selected KDE at install.

Edited by Francisco Reyes