Mandriva 2006 Kernel upgrade failure [solved]

I have been trying to upgrade the stalk kernel on my 2006 system and can not get it to work.

Here is what I tried, at least the last miserable attempt.

urpmi kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.31mdk

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...-2.6.12.31mdk-1 -1mdk.i586.rpm

installing kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.31mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

Preparing... #############################################

1/1: kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.31mdk#############################################

Cannot find a boot loader installed

error: %unknownscript(kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.31mdk-1-1mdk.i586) scriptlet failed, exit status 21

As you can see, status 21. I have tried this from command line, and through MCC, the results are the same both ways. Here is what I see in /boot.

ls -l
total 5128
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root	  19 Mar 20 08:40 config -> config-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   71299 Sep  9  2005 config-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   71364 Mar  2 12:01 config-2.6.12-31mdk-i686-up-4GB
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root	4096 Dec 26  2005 grub/
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  283534 Dec 26  2005 initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.img
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root	  23 Dec 26  2005 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.img
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root	  27 Mar 20 08:41 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root	 695 Dec 26  2005 kernel.h-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  254766 Dec 26  2005 message-graphic
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root	  23 Dec 26  2005 System.map -> System.map-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  639316 Sep  9  2005 System.map-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  647087 Mar  2 12:01 System.map-2.6.12-31mdk-i686-up-4GB
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root	  20 Dec 26  2005 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1608520 Sep  9  2005 vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1615176 Mar  2 12:01 vmlinuz-2.6.12-31mdk-i686-up-4GB

I get a new vmlinuz file, but I do not get a new initrd-2.6.12-31mdk.img file.

This is a triple boot system. I have posted this before, but I have not received an answer, so I thought I would try again. Mandrake 9.2 is the system controlling lilo. I know I have to update lilo.conf and then run 'lilo' under mdk9.2. I tried that with a variety of other kernels, but none seem to install all the files.

I suspect the problem is the install script can not update lilo, since it doesn't find one. Can someone give me some guidance? I have read a ton of posts recommending using Mandriva kernels.

This is a triple boot system. I have posted this before, but I have not received an answer, so I thought I would try again.
Don't double post about the same problem, please. If your post doesn't get answered, reply to it yourself and put *bump* as the text in the reply. This will bump it back up to the top of the list, without you re-posting and adding more posts on the same topic, making it hard to find. I will reply to your problems here, however.
I suspect the problem is the install script can not update lilo, since it doesn't find one.
Basically.
Can someone give me some guidance?
Move the boot loader to the newer system - just install it from MCC. Unless you have some crazy reason that you absolutely need to keep the 9.2 install, I would blow it away. It's more outdated than bell-bottoms.

You are sure you use lilo to handle your booting (I see a directory called grub)?
This was probably created at some other time (Mandriva might even do it by default). This issue is occuring on a different install than where he has the lilo configuration, which is on another install on the same computer. If grub was installed and being used, then Mandriva shouldn't have any issue. It's set up to use and recognize either.

Don't double post about the same problem,

Every board is different. I won't do it again. My apologizes.

Move the boot loader to the newer system - just install it from MCC.

I guess it doesn't matter if 9.2 or 2006 has control of the boot loader. I'll give this a try and retry the kernel upgrade.

You are sure you use lilo to handle your booting (I see a directory called grub)?

It is lilo. I suspect the Grup directory was created when I switched the boot loader to grub for a while. I switched it back while working on another problem. I think it was when I installed 10, and I couldn't get the new install to boot. I had some idea how to get it working under lilo, so I switched back, and never went to back to grub. The directory is empty.

Yep, looks like 2006 is looking for lilo and grub in your install, and is failing because of this. Try passing the --no-scripts parameter when installing the kernel. You'll get the kernel installed, and then you can just manually edit the lilo.conf and run the install.

Thank-you to all who responded to this thread.

I have got the upgraded kernel installed. Here is the short version of what I did.

I installed grub from 2006. I had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to add an entry for Mandrake 9.2.

I tested and made sure all three systems booted.

I then ran the command

urpmi kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.31mdk

The kernel installed without a problem. It added new entries for the new kernel, and did not remove the entries for the old kernel.

So far no problems at all. I'll run like this for a few days and do some more testing, and remove the old kernel after I'm sure there are no issues.

You can always edit /etc/lilo.conf (and of course, run /sbin/lilo after that!), or edit accordingly /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the new kernel (in the case of grub, you don't have to run anything at all). OK, I know that a "newbie friendly" distro is supposed to do these things automatically, but sometimes something is broken- but resolution is fairly simple with really little knowledge...

And yes, as you've already noticed, grub is WAY easier to handle, more newbie-friendly, and way more flexible than lilo. It's only disadvantage was not supporting pretty bootsplash screens, but since this has been rectified in the last grub revisions, there is no good reason to prefer lilo over grub...