Safely Shutdown [solved]

Scythe

Mandriva 2007, KDE 3.5, just installed last night:

Is there a way to guarantee a safe shutdown so that no file corruption occurs?

The reason I ask is because this is the third time I've had to remake my user because it got erased/corrupted when I shut the pc off. I did the "reboot" command and tried to log in again, but it gave me the "could not start kstartupconfig" error and I had to use the chown -R command to remake it.

Edited by Scythe

There is no button for "Turn Off Computer", at least there isn't on mine. It just gives the option to Logout.

I don't understand why it isn't there, since it was when I had 2006 installed last year. Huh.

There is no button for "Turn Off Computer", at least there isn't on mine. It just gives the option to Logout.

I don't understand why it isn't there, since it was when I had 2006 installed last year. Huh.

Hey,

when you click on logout you then should have the option to 'end session' 'restart computer' or 'shutdown computer'. From the cli (command line) you could also issue the following command

shutdown -h now

which will of course shutdown the pc. Is this a clean install or have you upgraded? I would also check the HD for errors.

HTH

Standard security level with a fresh install.

When I click "Logout" there are no options for "Restart Computer" or the others. There is just "End Session."

I have just been using halt or reboot to shut the computer off, but the last time I used reboot I got my user files erased.

I'll have to check for errors, but this has happened when I installed the same distro before.

Shutting down by the command line will not damage your system. This is Linux, not windows. I have shut down my system this way for years. My hunch is a hardware issue, ram or hard dive.

Shutting down by the command line will not damage your system. This is Linux, not windows. I have shut down my system this way for years. My hunch is a hardware issue, ram or hard dive.

I know! That's why it's weird. I know it shouldn't be doing anything, but something's definitely going wrong. What program would you recommend for a hard disk scan in Mandriva? It's most likely not the RAM since I don't have problems in Windows with corruption.

@spinynorman - Allow shutdown is set to Everybody :-/