Any problem with GeForce DDR and MDK 9.1 ?

CarlJF

I had some compatibility issues between MDK 9.1 and my ASUS-6800 (GeForce DDR) video card.

As soon as the Xserver start, the computer hang up. As it was in permanent standby mode. Nothing I can do apart reboot.

The problem seems to be related with the nv driver iincluded with 9.1. I made the installation using VESA driver without any problem. Once I had a working system, I downloaded and recompiled the NVidia drivers and everything works fine.

Is anybody had this problem with a GeForce DDR based video card ?

If everybody has the same problem, it may means that a buggy nv driver has been included with 9.1... If it's only me, it means that something very specific to my system and no need to send a bug reports to the Mandrake team...

I had some compatibility issues between MDK 9.1 and my ASUS-6800 (GeForce DDR) video card.

As soon as the Xserver start, the computer hang up. As it was in permanent standby mode. Nothing I can do apart reboot.

The problem seems to be related with the nv driver iincluded with 9.1. I made the installation using VESA driver without any problem. Once I had a working system, I downloaded and recompiled the NVidia drivers and everything works fine.

If everybody has the same problem, it may means that a buggy nv driver has been included with 9.1... If it's only me, it means that something very specific to my system and no need to send a bug reports to the Mandrake team...

You have to make sure you follow the directions @NVidia, I have a G4 Ti 4600 with 128 DDR on board (AGP) and it rocks using the 4191 drivers from NVidia. As long as you run

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true

before rebuilding the source RPMs, they will work properly,

Then make sure /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 has the module for "glx" being loaded,

Then make sure you change the line in same file, "nv" to "nvidia",

Then reboot, you should be flying then.

You have to make sure you follow the directions @NVidia, I have a G4 Ti 4600 with 128 DDR on board (AGP) and it rocks using the 4191 drivers from NVidia. As long as you run

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true

before rebuilding the source RPMs, they will work properly,

Then make sure /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 has the module for "glx" being loaded,

Then make sure you change the line in same file, "nv" to "nvidia",

Then reboot, you should be flying then.

I have no problem at all with the downloaded "nvidia" driver. The problem is only with the default "nv" driver included on the CD.

I like your web site and I have a few comments that I would like to make. Thanks also for making us aware of yet another partitioning program. BTW, the link on your page came up 404 for me and I had to use Google to find it. I would move your warning about scandisk and defrag into the Partitioning section since it makes the difference before partitioning, not after. Some people here also create a /usr partition and a /var partition, the former because that's where your downloaded programs usually end up and the latter to prevent runaway log files overwriting part of root.

I'm not sure about the Nvidia instructions you have given. Look at the recent messages here and in the Tips and Tricks forum for a new way to install Nvidia drivers.

In How to get help, you could add the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake which is a rich source of help from highly qualified and experienced folks.

I would check the programs in your software list to ensure they will run under Glibc 2.3.1.

You have put a lot of work into your site and I would suggest you put a link to it in our links section at the top of the page. Thanks and welcome on behalf of our community here for an excellent site that will hopefully create some more Mandrake users.

Counterspy