Fedora has hit the 2 million mark

arctic

Fedora Core 6 (Zod)

Zod was released on 2006-10-24.

1 million installs on day 74 (2007-01-05, about 2.5 months after release)

2 million installs on day 133 (2007-03-05, about 4.5 months after release)

Not bad, not bad... B)

"That's really ultimately the point that we're trying to do with our metrics with Fedora," Spevack said. "We want convincing numbers for people that want to talk about the size of the Linux world."

If like me you were wondering whether they really meant "installs" or "downloads", here's a snip from an article from January:

Cacti tracks the number of unique IP addresses that connect to yum with a new installation of FC6 in search of updates. Determining the number of unique IP address is the main focus of this metric, but McGrath says several other pieces of information, as yet to be determined, will be collected following the release of FC7.

While only minimal information was collected during the release of FC6, the team hopes to cull much more data with the release of Fedora Core 7 later this year.

Either way, 2 million is a fairly hefty user base!

As distros go, FC6 may be one of the better ones I've used. If FC has such a large user base, it's because they've built it. I remember FC1. It was okay, but I'm completely impressed now by their entire process.

Although I am a long-time Red Hat and fedora user, I did not expect them to break the two million mark. This is even more impressive when you consider that there are many, many users that still run fedora core 5 and previous releases. This adds perhaps another million fedora users.

Now think about the huge debian, Ubuntu or Gentoo communities and you really get the impression that the Linuxes are not the "niche-product" that some people still say they are. Sure, it is not even near the Windows mark, but it shows imho that it is very probable that there are more Linux users out there today than e.g. Mac users.

Anyway: Such numbers will hopefully convince some hardware vendors to improve their Linux support.

Does it count uniqueness? What if your ip address of your internet connection changes? Or if I reinstall a few times?

Just curious :)

I installed FC6 quite a few times, and got updates, both from home and work on different systems, including vmware. Think I might count for about 10 or so installs ;)

As neddie quoted:

Cacti tracks the number of unique IP addresses that connect to yum with a new installation of FC6 in search of updates. Determining the number of unique IP address is the main focus of this metric, but McGrath says several other pieces of information, as yet to be determined, will be collected following the release of FC7.
;)

I think it'd have to be more, like pulling your hostname from your machine too. That way, if your internet connection IP changes, you've got two entries for your hostname, that can effectively be counted as one machine install, without causing duplicate entries.

Perhaps I'm thinking about this too much, and should just move on :P

I think it'd have to be more, like pulling your hostname from your machine too. That way, if your internet connection IP changes, you've got two entries for your hostname, that can effectively be counted as one machine install, without causing duplicate entries.
Yes, but then you wouldn't be able to post higher than realistic stats :lol2:

Perhaps I'm thinking about this too much, and should just move on :P

Probably ;)

It does not really matter if you use dhcp or not. There will only be as many fedora boxes connecting to the servers for updates as there are fedora boxes connected to the net. Count the number of downloads for e.g. a new kernel and you get an idea of the number of boxes that are out there.

Now consider that not all fedora boxes are connected to the net :o and many others are only connected through a a proxy server, then you get the image: these are only rough numbers. Nobody said that they are 100% accurate. The numbers they got at fedora are probably below the real number of boxes that actually run fedora 6 (zod). ;)