what was that gaming project called again?

Darkelve

I'm trying to remember the name of a technology that promised to make windows games playable on Linux...

it was a bit like Wine, but different... they talked about recompiling something and then they'd have an identical version functionality-wise, but fit to run on another OS... I forgot the name though.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Would it be ReactOS?

Or maybe Plex86? This one has nothing to do with what it once was. Plex86 used to be a light-weight alternative to Bochs for x86 machines only, relying as much as possible on real-hardware, so that there wouldn't be much need for emulation, thus permitting rather good performances. Unfortunately, the task was probably too big, and it never got actually usable; the project eventually slowed to a halt, until it was awaken again with new (and more realistic) goals.

Yves.

No it wasn't plex or bochs, although I do remember when reading the article I remember some comments about how it was similar to the Bochs way...

And IIRC, it was specifically about games and promising to deliver a Linux or OSX binary which would run the game at the same quality/speed as if it was running natively.

Edited by Darkelve

It took some googling to find, but I knew exactly what you were looking for because I remember reading about it with great interest. Unfortunately the site is blocked at work, so I can't see what the status is! Guess I'll have to take care of that when I get home.

Just to confirm that http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/ is the right address. The alkyproject url just times out.

It looks like a really interesting project. The fact that a compiler must be developed for each game individually makes it a lot of work though, but I can't think of a better way to do it.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this.

What I'm really interested in, is the quality and performance they can give a title versus the time it takes them to get there. If they succeed in getting their first DX10 title compiled by the time that Wine already has a well-performing DX10 implementation, then what's the point... except for a couple of odd titles?

I'm guessing it took them a long time to develop their "base" and can now get stuff running faster. But there's no concrete evidence that's actually the case.

I can think of:

- full support/compatibility (working sound etc.)

- speed (FPS)

- copy protection schemes will work (I think?)

I asked some questions on the forums, but apparently the forum moderator didn't get around posting it yet.

I'm interested, but it's more of a wait-and-see approach.

Edited by Darkelve