computer shop is bundling linux

ramfree17

If I assume OEM cost of redhat personal edition is $20 per copy, then each system costs (hardware-wise) only $370 and linux will work with all hardware (including the modem !!) of this PC. I wonder if I have the choice of not buying the OS with the hardware (and saving money).

if you are referring to this one then i figure not as the distro was considered *free*. you can take it or leave it but from their point of view it would not affect the package price.

and im assuming that this is all just a theoretical discussion since if you are indeed going to buy it from there then you would have to consider the shipping cost ($35 per kilogram if shipped using fedex/ups/dhl) as well as the possibility of replacement/repair if something proves to be defective. :#:

ciao!

nbed:

While you can put together a package like PC, it will cost you more than buying the individual parts. One caveat about the packages. They are cheaper but the standard way of buying a PC here (for those in the know) is to put together your own PC if you care about what is inside.

The drawback is that packages are made up of parts that don't move. If you buy a package PC you will lileky get a AMD XP Palomino instead of the newer T-Bred's or an Intel Pentium Williameth rather than a Northwood.

A lot of package have ECS AMA mootherboards with the ALI chipset and Intel packages usually come with the via chipset rather than an Intel845.

By the way, the website of PCX is not updated frequently, so it is better to download their pricelist to get the current prices.

ramfree:

Drop by www.pinoypC.net for more RMA horror stories. I recommend buying from Villmans (the charge about 10% more) or PC Hub.

Drop by www.pinoypC.net for more RMA horror stories. I recommend buying from Villmans (the charge about 10% more) or PC Hub.

where is the stories? is it embedded in the forum? can you pm me the location of the PC Hub? my experiences with pcx has been blessed because i still havent returned anything. Villman charges way too much in my opinion as i dont figure on availing of their services if i can do it myself (less the expense of transporting the unit to their site).

ciao!

PC Hub is in Gilmore across PCX. Look for Eric. Tell him Robin and Ellen referred you.

We buy a fair number of parts from them (yup we build our own PC's) and have had to RMA two items so far... a floppy drive replaced on the same day and a burnt out XP1700 which took about a week to replace.

When we needed a motherboard really badly he had his own perosnal driver pick up one for us at the warehouse.

I know someone who has not been able to get his Creative Audigy Soundcard replaced by PCX becuase they are not carrying it anymore. He offered to take a lower end model and share the difference (Php500) with PCX. In other owrds he gets the cheaper card and PCX refunds only half thep rice difference. No go.

Just go to the Lounge section of pinoypc.net and post should I buy from PCX :)

Villman's is costly, but their service is good although we only buy parts from them when I can't find it elsewhere becuase of cost (Enlight casings, some Intel server stuff....).

If you want a T-Bred "B", or Tyan, Promise, Epox, Lian Li, GlobalWin, Twin Moss, Vantec or PC Ram products I can get them direct from the supplier (we still listed as a reseller... although we dont sell many PC's to the public anymore... just do special jobs like set up other internet cafe's or build low end servers and high end workstations). Just PM me your contact info if you need anything.