computer shop is bundling linux

ramfree17

That's great :) -which distro is it? I see the Linux 8.0

I've crossed one of the larger outfits off my list of businesses getting my money. Office Depot here in the US recently instituted a policy where they won't sell anything that's not labled to say it's Windows XP ready.

according to a local broadsheet's money page, the ratio is $1 == Php53.58 (value doubled in around 8 yrs :( ).

im betting the linux bundled with the desktop is redhat 8.0. iirc, redhat prohibits distribution of the download edition under the trademarked name RedHat (a local LUG member sells burned copies under the name pulang fedora*).

btw, that is also the shop that doesnt service sold units if its loaded with pirated OS (unless customers agrees that they are going to wipe out the harddisk right there and then without backing up the data). they are also one of the shops selling the cheapest hardware around here. :)

ciao!

*pula means red, and i guess you already know that fedora is a kind of hat.

Guest Adriano

Here in Argentina, where things are _really_ bad for computer related stuff 'cause of the economy, I've seen Linux bundled with new computers in major stores... The catch: it's usually an ancient Turbolinux 4.0 release, or even (can you believe this?) Corel Linux... It makes me very angry to see such a bad use of a free resource... Also, it looks like the "best of the best" PCs always come with XP, with Linux for Celerons or not_quite_the_best AMD processors...

Guest Adriano

Well, I'll try, but it isn't easy to just go and ask a store's clerk to "please try this beautiful Linux Distro" and include it on your PCs. I'm nobody...

On the other hand, if I make it, it would be great.

I can certainly write a few letters...

Anyway, the other reason for them doing that is that they probably bought those boxes of Turbolinux / Corel Linux and now want to get rid of them, so that's a big But to my promotional efforts... If they want to get rid of those, they'll never take them... Anyway, I'll try and give it a shot.

I think Linux 8.0 is Redhat Linux 8.0. But they have suppressed the "Redhat" part to avoid trademark problems. They are not allowed to use the Redhat logo because there are not official redhat-8.0 boxed sets with support.

The system in http://pcx.com.ph/desktop/specs.asp?id=27 is about US$ 390.

AMD Athlon Platform

Athlon XP1700+ Processor, 128MB DDRAM, 32MB Gfx, 20GB HDD, 52x CDROM, FREE Canon S100SP & Linux 8.0  

Specifications

Processor: Athlon XP 1700+ 266MHz with Fan

Motherboard: Jetway V266A/B KT266a / DDR / S

Memory: 128MB PC266 DDR

Video Card: Xpert Vision M64 32MB

Sound Card: Onboard Sound

Hard Drive: 20GB Seagate 5400RPM

Optical Drive: 52x Sony CDROM(OEM)

Monitor: 15" Samsung 551V

Speakers: Multimedia Speaker

Buy this now for only P 20,700.00

Note that it has a RIVA TNT2 video card (with its own 32MB memory, not shared), printer, and 15" monitor. According to http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/amd...v266a/v266a.htm

http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/amd...v266b/v266b.htm

the motherboards have integrated LAN and modems as well. The RAM is also DDR. I hope keyboard and mouse are included (they are not listed though). Best of all, it comes with all of these preconfigured in redhat-8.0. Thats really great.

I hope keyboard and mouse are included (they are not listed though). Best of all, it comes with all of these preconfigured in redhat-8.0. Thats really great.

yes, the keyboard and mouse is included. this is one savvy shop. i find it ridiculous that smalltime vendors are prying not-so-informed new pc users with ads like "free keyboard and mouse". my thinking is if you are selling a complete and usable desktop, the keyboard and input devices should be included. but then it must be just me.

ciao!

"I think Linux 8.0 is Redhat Linux 8.0. But they have suppressed the "Redhat" part to avoid trademark problems. They are not allowed to use the Redhat logo because there are not official redhat-8.0 boxed sets with support."

Yup, its actually RedHat 8.0. Referrence to Linux 8.0 is not because of trademark... they give you OEM "boxed" actually (CD+Guide wrap in cardbaord and plastic).

Linux 8.0 is what some people in the US call RedHat 8.0 (there are some people who think Linux=RedHat).

By the way, I am not sure if this particular bundling is a good thing. PCX bought those RH8.0 packs in November for resale and they were not able to sell them apparently, so starting February this year, they started giving them as freebies... before RedHat 9 makes them less attractive :(

But if you go into a PCX shop (and I would not buy from them because they really make life hard for you if you RMA something).. they don't really promote Linux nor do they know anything about it.

Their website is not even fully functional on Mozilla.

Kind of sad, because they never pushed the product. They don't have PC's in their shop running Linux or anything.

RedHat distributor (Touch Solutions) here is trying to market RedHat... too early to tell how they will do, but they are a nice bunch to deal with.

http://www.touchgroup.net/

Yup, its actually RedHat 8.0. Referrence to Linux 8.0 is not because of trademark... they give you OEM "boxed" actually (CD+Guide wrap in cardbaord and plastic).
Are u suggesting that any buyer of this PC will have full support directly from redhat ? I doubt that. It will cost an extra USD 60 or so to have full redhat support, which a PC manufacturer can ill-afford for the given low price. And if this CDs are sold without official redhat support, the redhat trademark cannot be used.

Yes and no.

The version offered by PCX comes with 30 days RHN support only and some other things. I forgot the exact terms but it is basically the support given to the OEM version is the same as that for the RedHat Personnal Edition.

The CD's and manual are the genuine article all bearing the RedHat logo's and are imported from Singapore. No box but comes wrapped in a pastic with a manual and the CD's. Similar to the Windows OEM versions except that the RedHat manual is really a manual :D (70 or pages).

I know it may sound sad.... but to a large portion of the world, Linux = RedHat.

By the way, I am not sure if this particular bundling is a good thing. PCX bought those RH8.0 packs in November for resale and they were not able to sell them apparently, so starting February this year, they started giving them as freebies... before RedHat 9 makes them less attractive :(

still, its linux and just the mention of linux in a shop that is as packed as pcx is good enough advertisement for me. :)

But if you go into a PCX shop (and I would not buy from them because they really make life hard for you if you RMA something).. they don't really promote Linux nor do they know anything about it.

with the volume of buyers from them (im talking about the new manila branch since i bought some of my part in there), im really suprised that returning something is that painful. but at least they have chairs and an airconditioned room. :)

Their website is not even fully functional on Mozilla.

works here. although their customizer has degraded. i remember the time when i am presented with two or more boards to choose from if i want an AMD system.

ciao!

Yes and no.  

The version offered by PCX comes with 30 days RHN support only and some other things. I forgot the exact terms but it is basically the support given to the OEM version is the same as that for the RedHat Personnal Edition.  

The CD's and manual are the genuine article all bearing the RedHat logo's and are imported from Singapore. No box but comes wrapped in a pastic with a manual and the CD's. Similar to the Windows OEM versions except that the RedHat manual is really a manual  (70 or pages).

Thanks for the clarification. If I assume OEM cost of redhat personal edition is $20 per copy, then each system costs (hardware-wise) only $370 and linux will work with all hardware (including the modem !!) of this PC. I wonder if I have the choice of not buying the OS with the hardware (and saving money).