ATI Radeon 7000 ok for Open GL? Need cheap card..

krisbee2000

I have been having so many problems with running xmame without having proper open gl support that I want to get a new video card. Funds are limited, so I was thinking about getting an ATi Radeon 7000... they can be had for $15 USD...

How is the open gl support on this card? The most I run is xmame or even Quake 1!... I would like to be able to run Tuxracer and some other things too, but I don't need a powerhouse.... Eventually this computer will be converted into a cabinet for xmame and daphne, and that's all...

I have a Voodoo Banshee, but the opengl support kind of got phased out... I can run an accelerated server, but it acutally doesn't accelerate anything... everything runs at a crawl.

Thank you in advance for your help. I know the stuff is old, but that's what make linux great!

ATI's proprietary linux drivers never supported the Radeon 7000. The Radeon 8500/9000/9100/9200/9250 cards are still supported but only with the older 8.28.8 driver version and earlier. See:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/r...ious-linux.html

I have a Radeon 9200 SE card on one of my machines and it handles OpenGL fine using the 8.28.8 driver.

Is there any non-proprietary OpenGL driver support for the Radeon 7000? I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

Other possibly helpful info, is the Unofficial ATI Linux Driver Wiki at:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

Just an addendum. I've got a ATI Radeon 9250 in one of my machines. ATI's drivers never worked with it, no matter what version. Only the open source ones at 1200fps or so.