HP Keyboard issues | CDRom disappears?

Guest aref_naa

Guest aref_naa

This is really 2 separate questions, but I'm sleepy so I don't want to split them. I installed 9.0 on an HP Pavilion 521c, and for the most part it works just fine. Unfortunately, I have noticed that the keyboard mapping in console is a touch screwed up. (I hate to use this as a reference but here goes...) In the Windows command-linew ftp, arrow keys work just fine, such as for repeating commands, etc. but in Linux ftp, up just generates a ^[[A (that's Ctrl-[ [ A). I've tried changing keyboard layout in my terminal, and I've checked out the 'key layout' in KDE config. Anyone have any idea how I can get my arrow keys working right?

Additionally, I have a set of burned CD-Roms that I'm trying to copy to disk. After about 5 minutes, using either my CDRW or DVD-Rom, the system 'forgets' that most of the files exist. In Windows, I got cyclic redundancy errors using the CDRW, but the DVDRom worked fime. (Lost files when I repartitioned for Linux, which I'm now using solo because Windows registr crapped out, and I haven't fixed it yet) Is there a way I can fix this? Neither drive is SCSI, if that helps.

I think your keyboard is working fine.. If you do command line ftp, the arrow keys won't work, hence it will generate the ^[[A symbols. Try your arrow keys in straight console / terminal and see if it repeats the previous commands.

As for your second problem, it is a well known problem that straight out of the box 9.0 have broken supermount (the patch that enables automounting of cdroms and floppy) in the kernel. The result is that after a few minutes, the system cannot read the cdrom anymore, forcing you to eject and reentering the cds. There should be an upgraded kernel now so you can download from a mandrake mirror (here is an example link http://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS/ ) and install them via rpm -ivh kernel-blah-blah.rpm There should be more information somewhere in this board regarding how to upgrade your kernel. Just search for it.

Guest aref_naa

thanx for the kernel info- d/ling now. however, the keyboard is still screwy. It works fine for backing up in the shell, but within programs (like FTP and festival, anything with its own prompt) gives ^[[A in all terminals (konsole, eterm, etc) as well as the vcs (ctrl-alt-f1 and the like) for up. The insert ... pgdn block won't work right either.

Guest aref_naa

The kernel fixed the CD problem admirably (at least after I switched back to NV drivers because I hadn't downloaded the source for a new Nvidia kernel module), but KB issues still plague my FTPing.