When Buying Mandriva Power 2007

Guest dlac

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have had enough of Windows and would like to purchase Mandriva Power 2007 but if every six months they come out with a new version does that mean I would have to pay another 60-70 Euro for the newest release?

How does it work with Mandriva and buying their software please.

thank you

[moved from Other Linux Distributions by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

You can always download the 'Free' version CD's or DVD, the main differences between the Free and the Commercial is some proprietary software/drivers etc, eg Flash, Adobe Reader, Real Player, Cedega, Flatout, Nvidia/ATI drivers and so on. oh, and maybe some support :unsure: , but you can get that here for free as well :D

Don't let the 'Free' bit fool you, it is every bit as good as the purchased product, just minus some stuff, most of which you can either get elsewhere, or get replacements for anyways. But if you feel like purchasing the product to give something back or whatever, go for it.

Although I no longer use Mandriva, I joined the Club basically to give a little back, sure I got to download the 2007 Powerpack etc as well, but I never installed/used any of the Proprietary stuff anyway, and still had the free version installed on my other PC.

Edited by jagwah

Hi,

I don't mind purchasing the software because from what I have seen I think it is good, but I don't want to be in yet another Microsoft trap where I am purchasing the software over and over and over again. If I can get the 2007 version and then buy a membership and that will take care of my purchasing for a bit then I am going to do it, but if I have to buy the 2007 version and membership then pay for the next version in 5 months I won't be doing it.

Just looking form some answers to this.

thank you

The newer version will be an updated 2007 hence the name 2007.1. You can update 2007 without paying since the Power Pack is the Free version + some propietary apps. So the software is basically the same. Plus 2007.1 (aka Mandriva Spring) will have a public non-free repo which will contain propietary drivers and maybe Flash too. So the only reason to buy PP is if you don't have broadband at home (or wherever you use it). Or if you are a gamer.

2007 is supported over a year. If you don't wanna upgrade then you don't have to.

Vendor lock-in doesn't work in the open source world. Don't be afraid of that.

One more thing if you chose to buy PP read the Errata. It has a solution for the LinDVD problem. For a Cedega account you need to ask in the club forum.

Edited by dexter11

Hey Dexter,

I guess I just assumed that if you bought PP 2007 then you got all updates etc. up until their next major release say PP 2008, but then buying the membership confuses matters as it is fairly expensive and yearly so I had hoped that if I bought both PP 2007 and a membership that I would be good for a while, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Mandriva has a VERY confusing manner of offering products/services to the public and I for one am not at all clear on what direction I should take. I expect that at some point most of the major linux distributions will go with some type of pay schedule, but Mandriva is nuts!

thanks again

Download the free version and try it out. You'll get all updates, free, right up until you decide to upgrade to 2007.1 or 2008, at which point you can choose to download a free version of that too.

Only you can decide whether the price of the Powerpack is worth it for you, but updates are free for the free version too. Club membership is something else, and again only you can decide whether the benefits are worth the cost. Bear in mind that the free support from mub is extremely useful - you can decide to get club membership later if you want.

I'm not disagreeing that the pricing can be confusing, but traps and lock-ins are not what you should be worrying about.

If you are so paranoid about lockin with Linux then you might as well stay with Windows.

As every other poster has already stated, there is NO, I repeat NO lockin possibility with any kind of Linux (Gnu/Linux) Os.

I have used Linux for nearly 4 years and others for longer terms and NONE of us have ever suffered lockin.

If you buy the Mandriva 2007 PP then you get the equivalent of the Free plus some proprietry drivers that are not included in Free. You also get a short term membership with the club. By buying PP you are also helping to financially support Mandriva who produce Free.

When you install Mandriva there are a large number of updates that you can download to bring it right up to date.

Unlike Windows that brings out service packs at indeterminate intervals and which are usually obselete by the time they are issued, Mandriva and the Linux world has a system of updates daily and sometimes within hours of being released. In other words 24hrs, 365days a year. When something is fixed or improved, it is available within hours or at most a day or two.

If you really want to break the Windows chains that bind you then start of by understanding that Linux is not a clone of windows and Linux uses different methods to achieve the same and better end results as Windows.

Welcome to MUB and our Linux world.

Cheers. John.

Hi,

Don't consider myself paranoid at all just would like to think that if a person buys the 2007 version and also buys a membership that the 2007.1 or whatever it ends up being called is offered to that person for a discounted price. But it doesn't seem that Mandriva ever offers any type of discount for repeat buyers.

I am just curious nothing more. Not trying to beat Mandriva about the ears nor say they are doing something wrong. Just looking to make the most of my money and I am one of those folks who happen to believe that I should pay for software and prefer not to spend my money on Microsoft any longer.

thanks

If you joined the club now, you would get access to Man2007, and you would also get access to whatever is released within 12 months of your join date, so, if 2007.1 is released within 12 months from your joining date, you will get that also at no extra cost. Seeing as how Mandriva is now going to be doing a 6 month release cycle, you will most certainly not have to pay again for 2007.1 if you joined the club now. Also it depends on what level membership you choose, if you choose a 'Silver' membership, you will have access to all versions of Mandriva, up to and including the Power Pack.

The following page will tell you about different membership Levels, and what you get etc,

http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/resources/club

The following page tells you about the product lifetime, basically how long a certain release will be supported with security updates/updates etc.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/productlifetime

With the release of Mandrakelinux 9.1, a lifetime cycle that customers can easily anticipate was put into place. Mandriva will provide 12 months of "desktop" updates for distributions, and 18 months of "base" updates for distributions. This means that applications such as window managers, desktop environments, browsers, etc. will have a 12 month package update life, while applications such as the kernel, Apache, and other "base" components will have a package update life of 18 months. At certain times, Mandriva may choose to extend updates support for certain versions of Mandriva Linux.

So, if you join the club now, you'll get Man2007, and then when the new release is ready, you will also be able to access that as well at no extra cost.

Edited by jagwah

Thanks Jag that is what I was looking for. I just want to ensure that at least for the year I have a membership that I get not only the standard security updates that both paying and free users get but also any "major" updates to the core OS say like Metisse being added etc.

I am going to buy PP 2007 now and get a yearly membership subscription.....

If you joined the club now, you would get access to Man2007, and you would also get access to whatever is release within the next 12 months, so if 2007.1 is released within 12 months from your joining date, you will get that at no extra cost. Seeing as how Mandriva is now going to be doping a 6 month release cycle, you will most certainly not have to pay for 2007.1 if you joined the club now.

I added extra to the above post between when you read it, and when you replied.

I am going to buy PP 2007 now and get a yearly membership subscription.....

You don't have to do both, buy and join, if you join the club as a Silver member, you will get the PowerPack version available to you as part of the deal, just not the boxed version, you'll have to download it, but it's exactly the same thing.

Edited by jagwah

I guess this is what I mean by confusing!!! LOL

So I only have to buy the membership then they give me the full PP version including prop drivers etc and all updates for a full year and beyond as long as I remain a member in good standing.

Appreciate the help Jag

And by the way Jag why exactly would you post my ip (even though it is wrong), my ISP etc. online here????

So I only have to buy the membership then they give me the full PP version including prop drivers etc and all updates for a full year and beyond as long as I remain a member in good standing.

Yes, all you need do, is join the club as a Silver member, and you will be able to download the full Power Pack version etc.

And by the way Jag why exactly would you post my ip (even though it is wrong), my ISP etc. online here????

lol, no that is just a thing in my sig, you can have one to, it only shows your info to you, to someone else it would show their info. You can find out about them here

http://www.danasoft.com/

Have a look here,

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=39734

he puts your name in his signature ;)

Yes, all you need do, is join the club as a Silver member, and you will be able to download the full Power Pack version etc.
In the case of 2007 the Standard members can also download the PP version of 2007. Standard mebers can usually download a 4 CD version which is the 3 CDs of Free version + 1 CD with propietary stuff. This year Mandriva has made a mistake and the Standard club members installation required the 5th CD. Mandriva acknowledged the mistake and Standard members are allowed to download the full 5 CDs of PP. Note that this will probably change with 2007.1. Or probably won't because 2007.1 will have a public non-free repo so they have to give something to the Standard members.