Mandrake 9.1 - where to find the screensavers?

fuzzylizard

I installed 9.1 without any problems, but when I go into KDE and try to configure a screensaver, I only get the standard four from 9.0.

Question is, what package do I need to install for kde 3.1 and mandrake 9.1 in order to get the screensavers back?

You need to install kdeartwork in order to get them. I used texstar's rpm. which worked fine. I can't explain why it does not install in the main distribution. Perhaps it has become an extra for club members?

You need to install kdeartwork in order to get them. I used texstar's rpm. which worked fine. I can't explain why it does not install in the main distribution. Perhaps it has become an extra for club members?

Nope.. it's in the cds (I checked this time). Just need to choose it during the select individual packages during installation. I know for sure I have it during clean installation.

Speaking of screensavers -- I opened up xscreensaver and still no xmatrix. Anything in particular that Mandrake has against this particularly incredible screensaver?

At one point in time, I changed back to Redhat just for that screensaver! (okay, maybe that is going a little overboard)

So, if Mandrake does not include xmatrix, is there anyway of adding it? I remember trying about a year ago to add it and had no luck. Have things gotten better, can I have my mandrake and my matrix too?

Guest Texstar

Speaking of screensavers -- I opened up xscreensaver and still no xmatrix. Anything in particular that Mandrake has against this particularly incredible screensaver?

Yes, In the Mandrake Build Spec file it says removing matrix due to possible © problems.

So, what is the difference, if any between the kdeartwork-kdeclassic file on the 2nd install cd, and the texstar rpm?

No difference I guess.. since it ends with -mdk instead of -tex. Of course, only Texstar knows for sure. Anyway.. kdeartwork-classic only includes the classic kde 3.0 icons.. before they are going full-tilt to crystal icons I think.

Guest Texstar
So, what is the difference, if any between the kdeartwork-kdeclassic file on the 2nd install cd, and the texstar rpm?

I was told that the download edition of MDK 9.1 would not contain the kdeartwork rpms so I dumped them into the texstar rpm directory so everyone could find them.

Guest Texstar
No difference I guess.. since it ends with -mdk instead of -tex. Of course, only Texstar knows for sure. Anyway.. kdeartwork-classic only includes the classic kde  3.0 icons.. before they are going full-tilt to crystal icons I think.

I just updated the kdeartwork rpm tonight 3-28-2003 and added back the Matrix screensaver that Mandrake left out for possible legal reasons.