CD Writers.

I_NEED_HELP

Can anyone tell me how i go about setting up an ide cd writer or tell me of a decent newbie guide. Im not a newbie, ive been using on and off for about 4 years, using it as much as i can for the last two, still have to use windows for the internet and and play the odd game. All the guides ive read about setting up a cd writer have gone completely over my head.

I understand that you have to set up scsi emulation for ide cd writers but im not sure entirly how you go about it.

I followed one guide and all seemed to go succesfully however when i came to burn a CD it didnt burn the cd although it appeared to. This and my MP3 Player is all thats holding me back from booting windows because I dont play games much anymore.

Oh by the way i have a phillips ide CD writer that is compatible.

Just to clarify, you say it didn't really burn it. Now, understanding that it was your first attempt to burn in Linux, are you sure that that application wasn't set to do a "Dummy test run" (as the checkbox reads in GCombust, as an example)?

Guest joehill

Try using gcombust. You shouldn't need to set up scsi emulation witn any recent versions of Mandrake.

The thing to watch out for with gcombust is that the default is set to "dummy test run", many apps may be similar. Make sure it is set to actually burn and not just do a test.