few questions

Guest xupal

ok first i downloaded linux mandriva and it says it is 696mb but when i try to burn it it says it is to big for a 700mb cd so is it possible to burn it to one cd?

and what program would you guys recommend to burn it with i have tried nero before and it didnt work

thx

After download, did you verify the MD5 checksum of the .iso file to determine all is well? If not you should do that.

Nero will work fine, but you need to use the feature of Nero to burn iso image to disk. You can not just burn the .iso file to the CD as a data file.

the CD images area usually 690MB to 700MB in size. i might be mistaken but the iso image is usually larger than the actual content to be burned to the CD since it has to include some metadata.

how are you burning the image? are you burning it as an image or are you burning it directly to the CD? the former is the proper way of doing it. nero works fine but you could also use the CDBXP application that is available for free.

ciao!

what do i compare the sum that i just got too? i looked at the FAQs page and it is kinda outdated and the page is gone.. i think because the domain goes to mandrake not the new name of mandriva

Edited by xupal

Wherever you got the iso from, there should be both md5 and sha1 checksums on there as well. For example, on anorien (UK) you can see various ISOs and the corresponding md5 and sha1 checksums:

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/M.../iso/2007.0/CD/

Calculate either the md5 or the sha1 sum from the iso that you downloaded, and compare it with the one posted on the page where you got the iso from. I'm pretty sure that if you use a torrent, the checksums are included as separate files along with the iso.

nero should be perfect for burning, just remember to burn as image (as already pointed out!). If you have specific questions, tell us which ISO you're trying to burn, where you got it from, and whether you're trying to burn it using Windows or something else?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest forkart
ok first i downloaded linux mandriva and it says it is 696mb but when i try to burn it it says it is to big for a 700mb cd so is it possible to burn it to one cd?

and what program would you guys recommend to burn it with i have tried nero before and it didnt work

thx

Just try to use magiciso to burn iso file to cd or dvd. It works well for me.

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm