Password / Login Issues [solved]

Guest hbsnam

Hi everyone

I am fairly new to Linux in general.

have just installed Mandriva Free 2007 on my machine, but unable to login using the user name and password I thought I had added during installation. I am the only user of this machine, not on a network or anything, just SOHO. Playing around, getting to know Linux.

Any way to find my login and password, or reset these?

Also, when the time comes, how would I go ahead and uninstall Mandriva (installed on a separate hard drive, so as not to conflict with Windows, which I acknowledge I still have to use)?

Thanks

Hans

:oops:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Did you try logging in on the console (Control-Alt-F2 or 3,4,5,6) as root with the root password you defined during install? If this works you can then add users with the 'useradd' command, say:

useradd hbsnam
passwd hbsnam

followed by the password of your choice for the hbsnam account. This will create a home directory for hbsnam following the default template for user setups.

If you do not recall the root password, then you could try booting in failsafe mode (though that may prompt you for a root password).

If that fails, boot again from the install CD and read the boot options -- I think there is an option to set a new rootpassword. Then do as above.

Yes, easy enough to reset. First, when you get the graphical login screen just press CTRL-ALT-F1 together.

This gives you a console prompt, login as root - you will have given this a password earlier.

Then, to reset your user, just do:

passwd username

replace username with the user you created, and then reset the password by entering it twice. Log out by typing:

exit

and then press ALT-F7 to get the graphical login again. Then login as your normal user.