Linux Help

RadioEar

Recently I made a post in "Software" stating that I was having problems making audio CDs from FLAC audio files in K3B. I like the idea of using a lossless audio file system as compared to OGG Vorbis which is a loss archive. FLAC files like OGG has text tags as well to help identify and organize your music selection. Being new to Linux, FLAC was a find, for me, and an answer to WAVs which I use in M$ Windows. Nothing wrong with WAV files in Linux except you end up putting the name of the song, artist and album into the file name. If you use Amarok like I do, then you know what I mean.

At some point I discovered, even though all of the players that came with my Mandriva 2006 free, would play FLAC files, K3B would not use them to burn audio CDs. What started out as (what I thought) a simple fix, ended up to be a big frustration. I asked for help, and got plenty, but no solution the the problem. If only one could talk to the people who wrote the program in the first place. I discovered with all the help that everyone else had no problem with K3B and FLAC. My Brother Ix even told me that his version of Mandriva 2007 had no problems with this. At this stage, what could it be?

I ran k3bsetup, that did a lot, but did not fix the problem. I downloaded a new version K3B 1.0rc4, configured, compiled and installed. Works fine, but no FLAC support. I even saw all the support listed after configuring but no go.

I do want to thank those who did try to help. Now I'm troubled with what could be the lack of expertise with Linux help. I learned a lot with this go around but not enough to fully understand the operating system.

At this point my only option is, if I want to keep using Linux is to up grade to 2007. I hope I don't receive to same frustration.

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

Mandriva 2007 is damn fine, except for a couple of little niggles that I had, it worked perfectly fine for me, detected and set up all my hardware, (that was a first). However I have moved on to another distro which never had those little niggles present, and am thoroughly happy. I still keep my eye's on Mandriva, and will try out all new versions, and who knows ...

At this point my only option is, if I want to keep using Linux is to up grade to 2007. I hope I don't receive to same frustration.

Well, it's not really your only option, there's plenty of distro's to go around :) , and why not upgrade to 2007, although some have problems with it, many do not, and it may well work for you. Plus you'll have the latest from Mandriva, fixes etc, go for it.

I hope I don't receive to same frustration.

I hope you don't as well, best of luck.

Edited by jagwah