Next Mandriva release kernel's hardware support

Guest mdk_2001

Guest mdk_2001

I've read the next Mandriva release, 2007.1 should arrive March 19th 2007. According the Distrowatch?, however, this will be still built with the Kernel 2.6.17.

In the recent times many new Mainboards appear with the Intel Core2Duo? processors. The best chipsets for the time being for these processors are the Intel 965 and Intel 975 chips. These, AFAIK, do not contain IDE Controller, just SATA interface. Still most CD-RW, CD-ROM and DVD drives are only available with IDE interface. To connect these to the Boards with Intel 965/975 chipsets most mainboard manufacturers put the Jmicron interface chip on the Board. This chip has Kernel support only in 2.6.18 and later. This would be the reason to release new Linux with these newer Kernels.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Most 975 and 965 boards I've seen still have one standard PATA port, eg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813127014

Anyway, it's very difficult to tell exactly what's in a mandriva kernel as they are heavily patched and frequently backport features from later kernels. Also, the kernel version may change before final release; they're only at an alpha release now.

The jmicron driver can be backported to 2.6.17.

Actually this is what was done in Ubuntu 6.10, but the port was not terribly successful.

Mandriva has more time to backport the driver effectively.

I am also sure that 2007.1 will have kernel 2.6.17 with a myriad of patches (as usual).

Edited by scarecrow

Guest mdk_2001
The jmicron driver can be backported to 2.6.17.

I agree. Everything can be done - at least for an expert. But IMO Mandriva should run out of the box, not only for experts.

I am also sure that 2007.1 will have kernel 2.6.17 with a myriad of patches (as usual).

If this happens, I'll be happy.

BTW I made an attempt with SuSe 10.2 This has a 2.6.18 Kernel, which supports Jmicron. Well, the Installation finds the Jmicron chip correctly, just does not load the driver automatically! :angry: Well, it can be done manually, but this is again something for "experts", not for newbies. And after this SuSe does not start the Jmicron driver at boot thus one can only boot Linux from CD with manual driver load. I hope the next Mandriva will do this better :D

• 2 weeks later...